Keeping the taxman off my bricks and mortar!

Guest kev and del

Guest kev and del

Wondered if anyone out there can help???? We have rented out our house in the UK and also have an investment flat in the UK.

At present we are renting in Oz and are happy to continue for the time being but we are considering buying an investment property to renovate and rent out.

My question is if we purchased a property in Oz to rent out would that then mean we would have to pay capital gains tax on both of our properties back in the UK?

My understanding is once we buy in Oz that would then be classed as our main residence, but don't know how it works for investment.

Please can someone help a very confused pom? :realmad:

Guest Liam

The new house in OZ only becomes your main residence if you actually live in it for a periodand if you then elect it to be so. As you are not going to live in it I believe you do not have the option to elect for it to be your main home anyway. So you can still claim the UK house as your main residence for the CGT concession for up to 6 years after leaving it.

If you decide to live in the property here then you must decide which property is to be classed as your main residence.

best wishes

Liam

This is general advice only and your particular circumstances may be different. Get some personalised advice before acting on any recommendation on a public forum.

Guest kev and del

Thank you Liam I will look into this in more detail. Feel like confused.com at the mo.

Del

First question - what is your visa status?

{Link Removed}

Best regards.

Alan - you have been here long enough to know we are not an advertising board for pushing your paid factsheets.

Tim

my apologie, however you do charge for more than 5.... do you not? You could always pload oneas anattachment here for all to use since its free.....

The OP appears to be after advice that is available in a couple of our factsheets, not 6 or more, Tim.

I'll let it go.

I will though say that I'm starting to feel unwanted around these parts. Maybe we/you should see how users fare without the input of those of us who have acquired years of knowledge, and instead have to rely on the views of those who claim to be experts after 5 minutes.

Fit of pique over - its been a long day.

Best regards.

I will though say that I'm starting to feel unwanted around these parts. Maybe we/you should see how users fare without the input of those of us who have acquired years of knowledge, and instead have to rely on the views of those who claim to be experts after 5 minutes.

Just keeping it fair and level for all - its all part of moderating the forum and inline with the rules by which the forum is run. The good and the bad.

OK - understood. I know that forum management is a tough gig at the best of times. The offer of a free factsheet or two didn't seem to breach too many rules though (if any).

Time for bed! Speak soon, Tim.

As I say - feel free to attach them to a forum post should you wish and then everyone can use them... :wink:

Have a good night - no doubt see you tom.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kev and del

Hi Alan you asked what our visa status is. We have been living in Oz since Feb 09 and have permanent residency. Any help I would appreciate.

Del

Guest bentkitty
The OP appears to be after advice that is available in a couple of our factsheets, not 6 or more, Tim.

I'll let it go.

Fit of pique over - its been a long day.

Best regards.

Alan pls dont leave the forums, there are too few agents here as it is and your information is always hugely valuable !!!

Guest Scamp1976

If you live longer than 9 months in a house then it automatically becomes your main residence. Whether you rent it or own it won't matter.

If you live longer than 9 months in a house then it automatically becomes your main residence. Whether you rent it or own it won't matter.

Sorry ... where in the tax legislation does it say this ... and what country's tax system are you referring to?

Best regards.

Archived