might have to go back!passport advise

Guest zoensim

Guest zoensim

Please can anyone help..the story briefly is..we came over here in January on 457 visa, my partner got sacked yesterday...we might be forced to go back if he doesn;t get another sponsor....My sons passport is due to expire in June...i had already been looking into renewing it but will it be back in time if we do have to go back and do we need it at hand for flights to be booked and that..also does anyone know who we can get to countersign the photos as we don;t know anyone here for 2 years..do we need to have them signed if its just a renewal....my mind is in such a spin i can't think straight...

Guest masmithuk

Wow.

First off, I think you may find iimigration quite flexible with regard to your current situation but you do need to talk to them sooner rather than later. Pity that you have only been here a few months and they will take into account the reasons for the sacking etc. If it is clearly no fault of your own I suspect they will be helpful.

I have just got a new UK passport and this took about 3 weeks, I believe that you can go in person if it is an emergency and get one quicker.

Not sure if there is a short cut regarding the pictures. I was in a similar position to yourself and had photos taken here but had to post them to the UK to get them signed along with the completed passport form. When booking tickets you only need to give the name as shown in the passport, not the number so you should be able to book anyway.

Good luck with this one.

Mark

Guest zoensim

thanks mark, i suspected it might be a case of sending them back to the uk..we are off the have pictures taken later and will be trying to ring embassy and immigration both to sort this out..

Guest masmithuk

Make sure that you submit application here though, just get the forms and pics signed in UK then returned to you.

Guest zoensim

i will just looking on website for passports and after 2nd june you have to take them to post office here in australia to have em checked too another $50 for that...its actually runs out on 25th june does it have to be valid for longer if we are going back to uk or is it ok if it is just valid?

Guest masmithuk

I've not seen that. I used to Post Office to have my Aussie passport application checked and that didn't cost anything. I didn;t really you were to use the Aussie Post Office to check a UK passport application...

Guest zoensim

its a new thing coming in on 2nd june, it is good in a way because then at least you know it is all correct just that it costs another $50 on top of the cost of the passport...

Guest masmithuk

The only issue we had using the Post Office to vet our Aussie passports was the photos which had to be taken again. We used rubbish photos for the UK passport and they seemed to be okay. The UK passport is already more expensive than the Australan one so adding $50 on top seems a bit steep.

Archived