how on earth do people cope with going back?

Guest Perth Princess

Guest JoanneHattersley

I agree with Ali. Bonds can change. What doesnt kill you can make you stronger!

I consider myself to have a close relationship with my little brother. We lived three miles apart and saw each other a few times a year but when we did.....it was as if it was just us there!

Guest gary12
It's not just about a selfish desire for 'blue skies' though. For some it's about sacrificing your close geographical proximity to parents and other family for the good of your children and husband (as well as yourself!)

I myself have forged even stronger bonds with my own parents since leaving as everyone has been very honest about their feelings and we have come to realise just how much we actually love eachother! I think the time we spend together on the phone/skype etc and when they finally visit is far more 'quality time' than the fleeting rushed visits in England.

Overall staying or leaving is a very individual decsion and one that no-one takes lightly.

I couldn't agree more. For my family (2 boys and husband) it is the right time for us to be in Oz. Leaving behind my extended family was one of the hardest things we will ever do. I was so offended by people in the UK who would say "I could never do that I love my family too much" I don't love mine any less I just chose to move somewhere else.

Also, when my parents visited us they had so much quality time with the children, they played with their grandad something rarely done in the UK as we always ended up going shopping or similar with my mum. Now when I speak to my dad I speak to him rather than previous conversations that went along the lines " oh hi dad, you ok? good.. mum there, bye then" Now we speak for an hour or more on skype .

Since moving to Australia I for one have got to know my dad better than I have in the last 34 years. Here it is about quality time with people who come to see us rather than fleeting weekly visits which we had in the UK.

It isn't for everyone and at times it is hard but for us right now it's the best place to be.

I think as well true friends stay just that regardless of geography, I still speak or facebook or text my best friend at least once aday and my other good friends several times a week. Those whom I regarded as friends who got terribly upset about us leaving saying how much they would miss us I think the ones who kept in touch have done so once in the last 3 months and others not a dicky bird. My true friends were right behind us going saying it was such an opportunity and being really encouraging, they still are. So for those who are struggling think which friends have stayed in touch there may be alot that have fell by the wayside in just a few weeks.

It is a hard thing to decide and I truly feel sorry for those in Oz who are desperate to return to the UK.

best of luck

Michelle

Archived