Borrowing against your house in the uk....Nope!!

Guest montbrehain

Guest montbrehain

I think I knew what the answer would be before I rang , But I called an Oz bank in London to ask If I could secure a mortgage (to buy a property in Australia) against our current home here in the UK ( rental Income would cover payments easily) And the answer was of course .... NO. The property borrowed against has to be in Australia. Oh well it was worth a try ! Would have been nice landing in Oz with £150,000. Knowing that if things worked out we could return to England , Sell the house .Pay off the Mortgage and still have our Aussie home. I have read (don't always believe what you read) that property prices are going up by £100 a week in this area (madness) So we might have even made a profit ? If only things were that simple........ "MO"

Guest BullcreekBob

G'day

You asked the wrong bank. Just talk to the bank that your mortgage is currently with and refinance / extend your mortgage with them.

It is very sensible and wise to borrow against a UK property and use that money as a deposit for a house over here in Australia.

Guest montbrehain

It does Bob , thanks very much. We don't intend cutting our ties here , we just don't want to live here HAHA. I spoke to my mate this week in Middle Swan. I asked him where Bull creek was ? He Said Bull creek ! Bloody nice area mate , But the prices are out of your (my) league (howd he know that ??? :-) ) The Mrs and daughters want to go to the west , But I fancy a few acres up near Tamworth NSW. My mate tells me not to take em to Perth , because if they get there , they wont want to leave. (and I know he,s right ) cheers "MO"

Archived