uk debt

Guest leeroy2345

Guest leeroy2345

Hi guys,

bit of a naughty one here.

I left the uk two years ago and i left behind about 2000 pounds debt behind in the form of an overdraft, i am returning to the uk in july for a month and now im thinking i might get stopped trying to re enter because of this debt, is anyone in the know on this subject?

kind regards,

L:wideeyed:

Guest proud2beaussie

No you won't be stopped from entering the UK because of a civil debt,if it was a government debt like a failure to pay income tax it may be different but even then it would probably have to be a substantial amount before they would prevent you entering your own country.

I don't think you need to worry,but you should arrange to pay the debt a.s.a.p if only on moral grounds.

Guest London Girl

Considering half of england is in debt, I would not worry about it. As for it being a moral issue, don't think so, depends on the reasons why this happened. You can always contact the bank and make an arrangement to pay, they are probably owned by the British government now.....

Guest wayniexagt

so what if you was to leave with a credit card debt etc with no intension of returning. what are the implications regards the bayliffs knocking at my folks door wanting money etc

so what if you was to leave with a credit card debt etc with no intension of returning. what are the implications regards the bayliffs knocking at my folks door wanting money etc

That's an old question that gets raised at least once per month, do a forum search on leaving behind old debts.

guess the question you need to ask yourself is are you an honest person becasue

a) you like to think of yourself of an honest person or

b) because your afraid you will get caught.

Guest proud2beaussie

As I understand it there are no implications for anyone other than yourself,unless that is,a family member agreed to be a guarantor for you,under those circumstances the lender could take civil action seeking judgement against you,and in default,against your guarantor.

If however the account was held in yur name only then basically the lenders only course of action is to try and get you to pay by negotiating with you,if they have your address of course,if you are overseas then they can't force you to do anything as the two countries have seperate legal systems and you can't be forced to pay a debt from overseas.

Of course if you were to return home within the statutory time limit for debts to expire,which in the UK is ,I think,7 years then you may face problems obtaining credit .

Guest London Girl
Nigel i love you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nigel is right with what he says. I think though to have a clear conscience debts should be paid if you can. If it is out of your control, it is another matter but still there are always arrangements that can be made with them. If you have to go back to england for whatever reason it would not be nice to have to worry about whether you can get any credit or not I dont even think you can rent a flat these days without being credit checked. Nobody likes debt, I think everyone should have debit cards I mean why pay extoritnate interest to a credit card company in the first place.

Guest wayniexagt
Nigel is right with what he says. I think though to have a clear conscience debts should be paid if you can. If it is out of your control, it is another matter but still there are always arrangements that can be made with them. If you have to go back to england for whatever reason it would not be nice to have to worry about whether you can get any credit or not I dont even think you can rent a flat these days without being credit checked. Nobody likes debt, I think everyone should have debit cards I mean why pay extoritnate interest to a credit card company in the first place.[/quote

ok here can you tell my credit card comapny that. as i cant acivate the payment protection i took out on the card till im allowed to sign on but since ive tryed to keep afloat by workin part time and declaring it to be honest . im ******. i even asked the person that and they told me "ermmmm well i cant ansewer that" so i should go in and tell apack of lies and then claim for everything and then jump into my 60k range rover init.. ive put 21 yrs into this country and the 1 time i need them to help me im to F.R.O

. do you feeel where im coming from now !

Archived