Confused! Not sure if I can apply for State sponsership-Victoria

assia

Apologies for the spelling error in the title!

I have applied for the 175 (Oct 14th 08), I have recently looked at state sponsorship but there are only 2 places in Victoria that need Primary school Teachers:

North East Victoria - Wodonga

Wodonga - Live in Victoria

North West Victoria - Bendigo

Bendigo - Live in Victoria

This means that I can only apply for regional state sponsorship - Am I right?

However when checking the regional skilled list Primary School Teachers are not on it.

http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0013/20821/Eligibility_List_visas475and487-15012009.pdf

I am really confused can someone help me make some sense out of this.

Thanks

Guest JAnne

Hi Assia,

It appears to me that the regional skilled sponsorship list is now much shorter than the last time I looked at it. This suggests that it has been updated recently, whereas the information about the individual regions is from January. They might have forgotten to update the actual website.

However, I hope you are still on the list and if I were you I would give them a call or send an email to clarify.

Good luck!

JAnne

Guest Gollywobbler
Apologies for the spelling error in the title!

I have applied for the 175 (Oct 14th 08), I have recently looked at state sponsorship but there are only 2 places in Victoria that need Primary school Teachers:

North East Victoria - Wodonga

Wodonga - Live in Victoria

North West Victoria - Bendigo

Bendigo - Live in Victoria

This means that I can only apply for regional state sponsorship - Am I right?

However when checking the regional skilled list Primary School Teachers are not on it.

http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0013/20821/Eligibility_List_visas475and487-15012009.pdf

I am really confused can someone help me make some sense out of this.

Thanks

Hello assia

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

You have applied for a subclass 175 visa. If you can find a State that is willing to sponsor you for a subclass 176 visa instead then your existing sc 175 application can be converted to an sc 176 application with no requirement to pay DIAC anything extra and only minimal additional paperwork.

VIC used to offer to sponsor Primary School Teachers for the sc 176 visa but they were removed from the List earlier this year. However if you can secure a job offer from an employer in VIC then VIC will consider an "off list nomination" I expect.

Apparently Wodonga and Bendigo could do with Primary School Teachers according to your research. I'd suggest contacting all the schools in both places and asking whether this is still so? If they say "yes" ask whether they would consider offering you a job.

If they will offer you a job then VIC will probably offer you 176 backing.

To do it without a job offer you would need to make a second application for a subclass 475 visa. That would cost you a further $2,105 but there is no reason why you cannot apply for a sc 475 visa as well as long as you are willing to pay for it. You would then simply leave your existing sc 175 application running in the background.

Your call. VIC is not offering exactly what you want but a compromise is possible if you wish to consider it.

Best wishes

Gill

Archived