Moving to NSW

Guest we wanna be in Oz

Guest we wanna be in Oz

Hi, we are emigrating to Sydney with my hubbys work on a visa 457. We have a 14 and 12 year old sons. Hubbys job is in Chullora and we are wondering if anyone could give us some info on which areas to look at to live. We obviously like the idea of being close to the beach nut don't really mind one way or the other, and what is an average rental cost? Everywhere looks nice on the net, but wanted a bit of an insight of which areas are nice? We are hoping to get to Oz by june/ july.

Guest NurseFlo

Hi and welcome to the PIO forum! I'm not well up (yet) on the Sydney suburbs but your limitations on where you can live may be governed by commute times and affordability, also, are you planning on renting or buying? I would expect there is someone on here that can give you some actual pointers on areas. I'm liking the homehound.com.au site at the moment as it has the link in-built that takes you to the google streetview, and also has walkability ratings depending on each property's proximity to local amenities.....Good luck whereever you end up! x

Hi,

Chullora, looks to be in the western suburbs.

The usal questions are, are you looking tgo rent or buy.

Whichever, the common factor is the nearer you want to be to the city...the more its going to cost.

Commuters think nothing of a 2 hour drive to get into work!

Even 1 hour away housing is still expensive.

Renting an half decent place within say 30-50klm, can be around $400 a week plus any extras depending on if its a apartment, or house. Even at that price we saw places that we would not keep a dog in.

Usual routine is Google or ask for help finding either a motel or short term let till you have the chance to sus things out and decide where to live.

have to advise that, duff housing in teh first few weeks can really dampen your spirit and make you wonder if it was worth coming over.

Be positive and remind yourself...... its NOT the place you will settle...its a transit camp! REAL aussie living is when you find your own place and can move in.

Best Wishes

L.L.

Guest tenquidder

Hi

Chullora is "mid-west", an industrial area I wouldn't recommend to live in.

A bit to the east are the inner west and south, older style built up areas with lots of cafes, restaurants, older houses and some newer apartments. If that lifestyle suits, that may be an area to consider.

Further east are the eastern suburbs and southern beaches, very nice, very expensive and a long commute to Chullora. The same applies to the north shore and northern beaches.

To the west is the "outer west", definitely more for your money housing-wise but generally considered less desirable as areas to live, and obviously further from the beach.

If inner suburban living doesn't appeal, would suggest looking north around Ryde, Eastwood, Epping, Carlingford, or south around Beverly Hiils, Peakhurst, Mortdale. If you don't mind a longer commute there's the Hills district further north, or Sutherland Shire further south.

Rents vary enormously, the best guide is realestate.com.au or domain. com.au, once you've narrowed down the area.

Archived