12 weeks already

gilliantay

How time flies when you are having fun !!!!

Arrived in Oz on 9th January (in time for my sisters big 50 - she will kill me for typing that).

My brother was here visiting my sister at the time so it was just like being at home.

I had arranged to start work on the 19th January so it gave us some time to sort things out ie mobile phones (our ones did not work from the UK !!), Medicare etc, etc.

The only major problem, and it was a major problem....Our trusty UK Bank would not transfer any of our money over to our new Oz account. Countless telephone calls and letters later (about 3 weeks in total) they finally transferred a substantial amount allowing us to purchase a car and pay the bond on our rental property...I think by that time my sister was glad to see the back of us. Family are great but there is nothing like your own space.

I am working at The Royal Melbourne hospital (my choice) - we live in Lara (my choice) and I commute to Melbourne (my choice). The commute is not too bad - apart from the hot days when the train breaks down and you are stuck for 2 hours with no air con......pure murder !

Reading that last paragraph makes me appear a control freak...my choice or no choice........but suffice to say that Jimmy is happy here and Scott has settled well into school.

Jimmy has not found a job yet - I think he is enjoying his role as house-husband at the moment but that will not last for long.

At the end of the day, we are in a new country but bills still have to be paid. We have not experienced the 'I want to go home stage' yet..............................................yes, I miss Tesco, Boots, Next but I have to be content with Target and Safeway.

Life is not too bad.......at the end of the day, it is what you make it and at this moment in time, it would apper that we are quite happy with our lot. We are even contemplating buying our own house (buggar this paying someone else's mortgage for them).

Away now to take Scott to his Football Training (sorry, Soccer training)............

And, I must stop saying NO WORRIES to everyone...................I think I was born here in a past life.

Life is good at the moment.............................long may it last

Gill

Guest proud2beaussie

Great post,thanks.

Sounds like you're settling in well,you'll be a "dinky di" aussie very soon !lol.

Seriously you do sound like you have a very sensible head on your shoulders and a good attitude to starting life in a new country,congratulations on your success up till now and I hope it continues.

Good Luck.

Good here, innit? :)

I was interested to hear that you also had problems persuading your UK bank to transfer money--we had the same problem but were assured it was a "one off". Obviously they like hanging onto other folks cash--guess they have to since they lost most of their own!

In our case, we were getting a bit desperate for funds. The bank wasn't even trying to help but we'd left my grown son with signing authority on our account so he could pay any left over bills after out departure. This turned out to be a real boon because he was able to go in and manually do the transfer for us.

Obviously, this isn't a solution for everyone (you need a friend or relative you trust with the proceeds of your house sale for a start!) but might be worth considering for the rare person in the same position as us.

Bob

Guest ashmalog
How time flies when you are having fun !!!!

Arrived in Oz on 9th January (in time for my sisters big 50 - she will kill me for typing that).

My brother was here visiting my sister at the time so it was just like being at home.

I had arranged to start work on the 19th January so it gave us some time to sort things out ie mobile phones (our ones did not work from the UK !!), Medicare etc, etc.

I am working at The Royal Melbourne hospital (my choice) - we live in Lara (my choice) and I commute to Melbourne (my choice). The commute is not too bad - apart from the hot days when the train breaks down and you are stuck for 2 hours with no air con......pure murder !

Reading that last paragraph makes me appear a control freak...my choice or no choice........but suffice to say that Jimmy is happy here and Scott has settled well into school.

Jimmy has not found a job yet - I think he is enjoying his role as house-husband at the moment but that will not last for long.

At the end of the day, we are in a new country but bills still have to be paid. We have not experienced the 'I want to go home stage' yet..............................................yes, I miss Tesco, Boots, Next but I have to be content with Target and Safeway.

Life is not too bad.......at the end of the day, it is what you make it and at this moment in time, it would apper that we are quite happy with our lot. We are even contemplating buying our own house (buggar this paying someone else's mortgage for them).

Away now to take Scott to his Football Training (sorry, Soccer training)............

And, I must stop saying NO WORRIES to everyone...................I think I was born here in a past life.

Life is good at the moment.............................long may it last

Gill

Hi Gill

glad you are liking it. we can't wait to come to melbourne. good choice of hospital, my cousin is the recruitment manager there!

can't wait to hear how you get on in the next few weeks.

bonnie

Archived