ETA referral

stacybird123

Hi there,

My husband recieved an email back from the australian embassy in london today to say he has now been granted an eta to visit australia. He did not intially get accepted as he has an irish passport. Anyway on the email back, it states that you will not be permitted to enter austalia if you have criminal convictions. Well my husband 15 years ago got arrested for abh. Does this count as a conviction and should i contact the embassy, or as the ETA has now been accepted am i just being over paranoid.

many thanks to those who can help,

stacy

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Stacy

I have moved your thread into the Migration Issues section to be sure that the Agents will see it.

Did the on-line application form for the ETA ask about convictions? If so, what did Hubby put?

Also, have you submitted your main visa application yet? If so, what has Hubby put about his convictions on that?

The likelihood of Hubby being turned away at an Australian airport is virtually zero. The problems, if any, could come when Big Brother starts cross-checking everything it knows about Hubby. Believe me, that is a lot more than most of us think once we have set foot in Australia at any time.

Don't stress for now. It would be helpful if you could answer the questions I have asked, in order to give the agents some more background info, I think.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi again Stacy

I'm at home now which is easier than trying to help out with the site when I'm in the office and anyone walking in to my room can see the smileys up on the screen.....!

You say Hubby was arrested for ABH. Was he also charged and convicted, or was he just cautioned and then allowed to go? Also, in what circs did this happen? Was it just a load of guys being a bit silly or something?

It is HIGHLY unlikely to make a blind bit of difference, however, hunny, because it was so-o-o long ago and I assume that it was simply one isolated incident? A solo conviction forABH years ago would not act as a bar to permanent migration, so it sure as hell won't make any difference to an ETA for a short visit instead. And anyway -from what you say - it is probable that he wasn't even convicted.

For the sake of £10 (I assume the cost in Ireland is the same as in the UK but i don't know) I'd be inclined to run a police check on Hubby pretty well now, to see what (if anything) comes up on his record. If the police check reveals nothing then there's nothing for you to tell DIAC. The thing with them is not a confessional, my dear!!:)

If anything does come up on the police check, then when you complete the application for the main visa, write down what the police document says, I suggest, in the relevant space on the form.

You would have to get a second police cert for Hubby towards the end of the process for the main application, but time and again I've seen people panicking because at the application stage, they were distracted by other things and simply forgot to mention ancient and trivial convictions. Towards the end of the process they get the shivers, and it just causes them an immense amount of needless worrying.

If he was only arrested and/or cautioned, but was not charged, convicted and sentenced then Hubby's police check should come back with no entries.

If DIAC do not seek information it is because they do not think they need it. You have no duty to volunteer information that they haven't asked for, so do NOT worry about this, chooks.

If you are around later this evening, there will be a party in the chat-rooms. I'm not very good at the chat-rooms because my typing speed is pretty hopeless, but its fun to watch for a while if nothing else.

Have a super trip downunder and I hope you will like what you see. Is this a rekkie trip? If so, where are you planning to visit?

Cheers

Gill

yes hi and thanks for the reply.

we are planning to visit perth, we can only afford to go for 16 days. Basically we are hiring a camper van and gonna drive around a few surrounding suberbs, so far we are planning on visiting bunbury, mandurah and surrounding places to see what we think, then gonna go north of perth to check out a few more places to see if there is any where suitable for us to settle. Basically we wanna buy a house for no more than £150,000 and be a close to the sea as possible, but withiun a nice suberb if this is at all possible. Gonna check out my hubby work situation, go into a few stores and ask about carpet laying work and try to get an understanding of how much pay compares to the uk. My uncle lives in runnaway bay in queensland and has offered us to stay, but we feel it could be too hot for us there in the long term. Perth is alot milder weather wise aparantly.

Do you know wether i need to book camper van grounds in advance or is it ok to just turn up each night at different grounds?, also do you know how much it is to rent at camping grounds each night?

many thanks

stacy

My husband police report states: 1989 common assault was found quilty and fined £250

hope someone can clarify. Also im a bit worried that if we don't tell the embassy about it now that it may look like we have lied when it comes to the real application for permanant residency.

stacy

Guest Gollywobbler

HI again, Stacy

Common Assault isn't even ABH, honey. A doctor commits Common Assault if he so much as lays a finger on you without your consent. Harm is irrelevant to the concept.

Listen, pet. Your Hubby's ETA application was pulled in and referred because he is Irish. That means, "Is this guy a paid up member of the IRA/Sinn Fein" or whatever it is?

They have plainly satisfied themselves that he is not wanted by Interplod for anything, so I PROMISE YOU that you can STOP worrying!

Now, on to brighter things. I don't know anything about renting camper vans in Perth. I would suggest that you go to the Perth/WA section of the forum and start a specific thread about this bit on there.

My sister lives about 15km South of Perth CBD. At Christmas, she and her hubby took their children to a campsite about 100kms North of Perth. They took their own tent and I think it was about $24 a night to pitch it. That was from 23 December for 5 mights, which might be the most expensive 5 nights of the year. I'll try to find her e-mail and see if I can discover the name of the place.

Tell Google UK to find Google Australia, I suggest. It is much quicker to search Google Australia and to click on the button demanding pages from Australia only.

Your idea sounds to me like a GREAT way to explore.

When you say £150,000, do you mean pounds sterling or some other currency? I think you might do better to look in Bunbury than closer to Perth, where house-prices are soaring. Look on www.realestate.com.au I suggest. Dallyellup Beach is close to Bunbury. Tell Google Au to find the Bunbury Tourist Information Cetre/Margaret River tourist information, I would suggest. The tourist people supply on-line maps, which are handy.

That should give you enough to crack on with without causing you sensory overload, I hope!!

Cheers

Gill :yes:

thanks very much for all the information you have given me. I wa talking in terms of pounds sterling. Basically we are looking at buying a house in oz for around $370,000 australian dollars. My husband is a carpet and wood floor layer. We are hoping he can earn a simialr wage and with the cut in morgage and the lifestyle, these are the main reasons for us to be considering the move. Although reading through other posts the wages and money don't seem to be as great in oz.

regards,

stacy

Guest Gollywobbler
thanks very much for all the information you have given me. I wa talking in terms of pounds sterling. Basically we are looking at buying a house in oz for around $370,000 australian dollars. My husband is a carpet and wood floor layer. We are hoping he can earn a simialr wage and with the cut in morgage and the lifestyle, these are the main reasons for us to be considering the move. Although reading through other posts the wages and money don't seem to be as great in oz.

regards,

stacy

Hi Stacy

Wages are lower. Not sure about house prices in Bunbury area. Will look for you tomorrow. Come into the chatroom and we'll find a quiet place to chat if you wish, away from the main party. Click on Chat towards the top right of your screen.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler

Hello again, Stacy

I live in the UK. My sister lives in Jandakot, about 15km South of Perth CBD. She has lived in the Fremantle area for about 26 years. I go there to visit her and she comes to the UK.

I think your best bet with your new queries is probably a PiO member called BullcreekBob. You will find him if you look in the Members list and you would be able to send him a PM. He has enabled that feature, so he does not mind receiving PMs.

I think you would probably find it helpful to meet up with Bob during your forthcoming visit to Perth. He is a mortage broker and he is a born Aussie. His wife is British, but Bob is an Aussie. He is very, very good at explaining the Maths of moving to Perth and he could tall you about likely income, house-prices etc.

My sister is not typical. She went to Oz for a year about 26 years ago and never came back. She did the whole gamut with the various visas but it was all so long ago that no valid comparisons could be drawn today from her experiences. Personally, Perth is not for me. I ADORE Sydney, however.

How old are you, lass? It sounds like you are quite young with no children?

Cheers

Gill

Archived