what do Aussie's...

Guest england

Guest england

general Qu for anybody that would like to answer...

in the UK we refer to Austrailia as 'down under', what do Aussie's refer to the UK as? :?: ? (up over?? down under??) :wink:

cheers England

Guest england
Well??

. . . . . . without being rude . . . . .

...haha, nah i'm asking, i'd like to know because i have no idea - i thought somebody else would know the answer...

general Qu for anybody that would like to answer...

in the UK we refer to Austrailia as 'down under', what do Aussie's refer to the UK as? :?: ? (up over?? down under??) :wink:

cheers England

Usually aussies just refer to it as the UK or Britain. I've never heard of "up over" or anything like that.

Guest england
Since Australia has lost the Ashes, Aussies refer to it as

" . . . . . that other place . . . . "

<<- - - haha, unlucky for the Aussies :wink: (we deserved to win though; England all the way) :lol:

• 1 month later...
Guest bob and ginnie

I've only ever heard some old age pensioners at a Church gathering back in 1973 in Auckland, New Zealand talk about me coming from "the Old Country".

I guess some old Aussies back in the '50's may have called it that too, but I haven't heard of them calling the Britain that.

I remember an old lady in Hobart, when asked how she saw herself, saying she saw herself as "British" . . . as most of her generation growing up in Australia in the 1900's would have seen themselves . . . and Australians before the War wishing one day to take a trip "back home" to see Britain and their relatives there, even though they'd been born and brought up in Australia.

Australians nowadays don't have a yearning for "Empire" or much of a connection with Britain like previous generations, although it's still pretty much of a situation of "birds of a feather sticking together" . . . . Anglo-Saxon Aussies stick around mostly with other Anglo-Saxons (whether Kiwis or Pommies or other Aussies) and not mixing much socially with the new ethnic communities of Chinese, Middle Eastern, etc.

Still . . . . it's early days yet! Who knows how things will pan out in decades to come?

• 4 months later...

"POME" = PRISPONER OF MOTHER ENGLAND. Therefore it should be mother England. Some still refer to HOME.

TD.

Archived