Where to live in Syndey?

Guest Rico

Anyone recommend nice places to rent an apartment in Sydney?

I have heard that Manly and New Town are pretty nice, and that I should stay clear of Bondi.

Im 27 and will be on my own till my girlfriend comes over next Feb/March time.

Cheers

Guest Ian & Sarah
Anyone recommend nice places to rent an apartment in Sydney?

I have heard that Manly and New Town are pretty nice, and that I should stay clear of Bondi.

Im 27 and will be on my own till my girlfriend comes over next Feb/March time.

Cheers

Definately Manly! Why anyone would say Newtown is nice I'll never know. And being on your own in Manly - easy, you will meet loads of people. Alot of travellers stay there as there are a few backpacker hostels.

Sarah

Guest bob and ginnie

For anyone contemplating shifting to Sydney, I recommend the suburb of Adelaide with 1,000,000 residents there.

You only pay half the rent, houses are half price and the cost of living is less, so you only need to spend eight hours a day at work instead of sixteen to pay for the privilege of living there.

Also, traffic is only half as bad, you get to work in half the time, queues in supermarkets, etc. are only half as long, and there are only half the number of people, per square inch, on the beach in any given day.

Don't rule out Bondi.

My son (now 29) moved to Sydney from Adelaide 4 years ago, and at first lived in Paddington, then moved to Bondi.

He absolutely loves it there. Although it is only a few kms from the city, there is a much more relaxed lifestyle - tshirts, shorts and thongs (we wear them on our feet) is the go.

I was in Sydney a few weeks ago visiting, and at 6am one day when it the temp was to be about 32 we went for a walk along the beach. The place was full of fitness groups, people walking dogs, swimmers, surfers. Also, lots of sticky flies!! The place was abuzz.

I think for a young man of 27, you would love the place.

Manly or Bondi - toss a coin, but do take a look at Bondi.

Guest Ian & Sarah
Don't rule out Bondi. The place was full of fitness groups, people walking dogs, swimmers, surfers. Also, lots of sticky flies!! The place was abuzz.

I think for a young man of 27, you would love the place.

Manly or Bondi - toss a coin, but do take a look at Bondi.

Bondi = city on a beach, filthy, full of unemployed/wannabe actors, too-pots. Exactly, fitness freaks - it's just a place to look good (well they all think they do anyway). In the height of summer, every man and his dog will go there from the southern and western suburbs as it's the closest beach, not to mention tourists that want to see 'Bondi'....yawn.

Manly = normal people, clean and beautiful.

Guest bob and ginnie

Years ago, I dropped in to see a mate who I travelled with across Europe and Asia.

He was the personell officer for Prospect Council, one of the local councils in Sydney.

Coming from London, I thought Sydney was great. He recommended I live in Sydney . . . . but only for six months . . . . then the novelty would wear off and the pressure of the lifestyle would make itself felt.

At the end of the day, it wouldn't end up much different from London . . . expensive, rushed, and congested compared to what Australia has to offer in the big scheme of things!

For a young bloke, it's great to experience Sydney. My seventeen year old daughter want to do Occupational Therapy there next year, but once you start a family and/or have to buy a house, it's getting out of the question for the average Australian, just as buying a house in London is getting out of the question for the average Londoner, as my sister tells me.

Of course, it's horses for courses, but I prefer a place with an affordable lifestyle where I don't have to work long hours to just keep my head above water.

Australia does offer that, and if you find yourself going under financially, as many are doing in Sydney, then you are not checking out much in the way of opportunties in Australia as a whole.

I was in a pub in Essex in 2000, at the bar buying a couple of beers. A young girl heard my accent and told me she'd spent a year working in Australia.

I asked where she'd gone and seen in Australia during the year.

"Sydney" was the response . . . . nowhere else.

Having lived many years in Australia, and been to W.A., Tasmania, Victoria, Queensland. the Territory, and S.A. I felt she'd seen short changed herself. There is soooo much to see and do in Australia. It is 3,000,000 sq. miles and she'd only seen 50!

What is it with many people from the U.K.?

They think "Australia" . . . they think "Sydney".

They think "Sydney" . . . they think "Bondi"

There is more to Australia than one beach half a mile long!

:? I say each to their own. You can still travel the country and choose to live in Sydney. :D

I agree. I grew up happily in Sydney, and managed to see most of oz during this time.

For domestic travel, Sydney is probably the best-located city in oz, being in the middle of Brisbane and Melbourne (the next two most populated cities). Far North Qld (Cairns etc) and New Zealand are also within easy reach, flying.

Sydney might seem very expensive on paper, but in reality with the salaries being higher for educated, skilled workers, it’s not as bad as it might seem. If you’re an unskilled worker, affording a mortgage in a decent suburb of Sydney would probably be out of the question, unfortunately.

Sydney has more career oppourtunity than any other city, due to most companies having their Head Office operations located there. IT/Commerce workers especially would be crazy to move to somewhere like Adelaide or Perth and perhaps even Brisbane.

Rico, living by the beach really only makes sense if you’re going to use it often. If you’re not into swimming/surfing etc there’s no point really as it will only make your commute to work longer and busier.

If you’d prefer somewhere in Sydney that’s not on the beach, but conveniently located on the Syd harbour and “near” the beaches, for w/end visits, then I would suggest looking at some of the Lower North Shore suburbs of:

Milsons Point

Cremorne Point

McMahons Point

Kirribilli

And surroundings.

There should be plenty of 1-bedroom apartments to choose from in the above areas. And only a 10-minute ferry ride to work. Bliss!

If on the other hand, you do want to live by the beach and don’t mind a bit of a commute, I would suggest looking around the Manly, Mona Vale, Dee Why & Narabeen suburbs.

Just my 2p.

If you want some new, reasonably priced apartments, for short or long term lease, have a look at Meriton Apartments at Waterloo and Moore Park.

They are only about 4kms from the city and you can take a bus, train or even walk into a city office. It is within walking distance to the SCG and parks are nearby. The airport is a 15 minute drive away, lots of ethnic cafes a 10 minute walk up Bourke Street. There is also an interesting mix of people, with Redfern the next suburb.

Then you can make your mind up what beachside area suits you.

Guest Ian & Sarah

If you’d prefer somewhere in Sydney that’s not on the beach, but conveniently located on the Syd harbour and “near” the beaches, for w/end visits, then I would suggest looking at some of the Lower North Shore suburbs of:

Milsons Point

Cremorne Point

McMahons Point

Kirribilli

And surroundings.

There should be plenty of 1-bedroom apartments to choose from in the above areas. And only a 10-minute ferry ride to work. Bliss!

If on the other hand, you do want to live by the beach and don’t mind a bit of a commute, I would suggest looking around the Manly, Mona Vale, Dee Why & Narabeen suburbs.

Just my 2p.

Yeahhhhh!!!

Mark, I'm with you. I grew up in all these suburbs in Sydney. Moving from Canberra in the early 80's to the glam Nth Shore was - WOW! Not to be defeated at all!

Most of my time I grew up in Mona Vale/Newport - my family now live in Dee Why and Narrabeen. Lots of friends in Cremorne, Neutral Bay, Lane Cove, Crows Nest etc......all fantastic places.

MANLY MANLY MANLY!

Hi guys

Thanks for all the replies. You've prob given me to many options to be honest!

Basically I'm gonna be on my own in Sydney. I have a job working for a leading Recruitment Agency and will be based in the city-centre. I know a few folk in sydney, but only thru other people.

Although living next to a beach sounds nice, I'm not really much of a swimmer so maybe its a bit pointless living next to one. What I want is a nice area, with people my age who are into the same things Im into (usual stuff: music, films, drinking!). If anyone else is from Glasgow, I currently live in the west-end, and I would really love to live in an area like that.

I know that a lot of people hate London, and always compare Sydney to London... well I really like London and have always wanted to live there (but the weather in sydney is far more appealing).

...oh man, I just dont know where to live!!

I will however defiently be living with other people. I will get really loneley living on my own.

what do you guys think?

Guest bob and ginnie

You're right, mate, when you say the weather in Sydney's a lot more appealing than London weather . . . . sunny, warm and outdoors lifestyle.

If you can hack London, then Sydney might be right up your street.

However, you need to earn more $$$$$$$$$ in Sydney than in some other cities around Australia for the same sort of lifestyle.

Just be aware of that fact . . . . . . and enjoy!

Milsons Point

Cremorne Point

McMahons Point

Kirribilli

And surroundings.

Just my 2p.

Yeahhhhh!!!

Mark, I'm with you. I grew up in all these suburbs in Sydney. Moving from Canberra in the early 80's to the glam Nth Shore was - WOW! Not to be defeated at all!

Most of my time I grew up in Mona Vale/Newport - my family now live in Dee Why and Narrabeen. Lots of friends in Cremorne, Neutral Bay, Lane Cove, Crows Nest etc......all fantastic places.

MANLY MANLY MANLY!

But aren’t you moving to Melbourne when you return?...Traitor! 2.gif :lol:

Hi guys

Thanks for all the replies. You've prob given me to many options to be honest!

Basically I'm gonna be on my own in Sydney. I have a job working for a leading Recruitment Agency and will be based in the city-centre. I know a few folk in sydney, but only thru other people.

Although living next to a beach sounds nice, I'm not really much of a swimmer so maybe its a bit pointless living next to one. What I want is a nice area, with people my age who are into the same things Im into (usual stuff: music, films, drinking!). If anyone else is from Glasgow, I currently live in the west-end, and I would really love to live in an area like that.

I know that a lot of people hate London, and always compare Sydney to London... well I really like London and have always wanted to live there (but the weather in sydney is far more appealing).

...oh man, I just dont know where to live!!

I will however defiently be living with other people. I will get really loneley living on my own.

what do you guys think?

Have a look at the suburbs that myself and Sarah listed. Sharing will be good to meet some locals, but it could make it hard when the missus moves over. From experience, most people will want a commitment of more than a couple of months.

Anyway, if you’re going to be sharing I would register with this site - http://flatmates.com.au (it’s free).

This site gives you the chance to read the profiles of those looking for a flat mate in any given area, and make contact. It also enables you, as a person looking for a pad, to set up a profile and let people contact you via email etc.

I’ve used the site in the past, with great success as it allows you to learn in detail about a flat mate or pad (well, more than a small newspaper advert anyway), before meeting.

Just a tip of advice though, if you do set up a profile, leave out that you’re a new immigrant, as some people might just think that you’re an unreliable backpacker. If you stress that you’re a City working professional (as you will be), I’m sure you’ll have no probs finding a decent pad some place with another like-minded person.

There’s another 2p that you owe me! 1.gif6.gif

Rico, why don't you book into a backpackers hostel in Sydney for a few days or weeks till you work out where you want to live. You will be amongst young travellers and probably have a ball. You will be right in the city and have no travelling time which is surely a bonus.

I think backpacker hostels are listed under YHA (Youth Hostels Australia).

My daughter stayed in these hostels when she went to Sydney for a few days while she was at uni in Canberra. She also chose hostels when she first arrived on London for the usual Aussie two year stint.

Guest Ian & Sarah
But aren’t you moving to Melbourne when you return?...Traitor! 2.gif :lol:

I know, I know, I know. My single fun days are over! Hence the move to Melbourne. That's where you go to settle down and start a family ;)

To be honest, I'd love to go back to Sydney but I'm tired of it, fancy a change, it's cheaper and it's fair on hubby and I to start somewhere completely new when we go back.

Answered!? This is meant to be Rico's topic anyway Mark!

Rico

I think you should go to Neutral Bay or Milsons Point. You WILL feel very homesick (I came with husband and 2 kids and still felt really low). You need something to lift your spirits everyday and looking at the lovely water and the bridge on your way to work would be a great way to do that. Or sitting on your balcony drinking a beer at sunset looking at the water makes you realise why you came. Personally, I detest Bondi and think Manley is shabby and rundown. Coogee is much nicer in MHO. The Coogee Bay Hotel has lots of Brits every night. Just wear a Scottish rugby shirt down there and you'll find lots of people will talk to you. Neutral Bay has lots of nice cafes and pubs and isn't that far from anywhere. My brother in law rented a nice flat there with a water view and a parking space for $420/week.

• 3 years later...
Guest movingtooz123

Hi

Im ina similar situation i get to sydney on saturday, as yet no accommodation sorted.

Im 21 travelling on my own too probably looking to rent a room rather than a flat

Ive also heard manly is lovely but very expensive.

Any advice would be welcomed

Thanks Stacy

Archived