Thought of trying somewhere else in the UK.

Guest earlswood

Guest earlswood

People who ping-pong usually go back to there old life and work situation when they get back to the UK.

Someone leaves from say a built up area of Stoke which they dislike and want to try Oz, after a few months they are homesick and return home to the same area that they disliked in the first place, and so the ping ponking starts.

Have you ever thought of trying a different part of the UK that might suit your family and your lifestyle better?

I even thought of trying Scotland which I love but the work situation would not really allow it.

What I am saying is that you are going to return to a place in the UK you disliked it aint gonna work.

Hey if you'd gone to Scotland we could have had that drink, I'm back there in July for a couple of weeks.

Bumping this up 'cos it's an interesting point!

So where did you move to Perth from? And where have you moved back too?

A friend tried to persuade me I could finnd what I was looking for in Cornwall (& thenn she could afford to visit me!)

Jules

Guest earlswood
Hey if you'd gone to Scotland we could have had that drink, I'm back there in July for a couple of weeks.

Bumping this up 'cos it's an interesting point!

So where did you move to Perth from? And where have you moved back too?

A friend tried to persuade me I could finnd what I was looking for in Cornwall (& thenn she could afford to visit me!)

Jules

I moved back to the area I was born in as I have always loved the area...what I am saying is people who lived in not so nice areas that they left as they disliked it so much, why return to an area you disliked.

Guest TheBrowningFamily

Good advice, but not always true.

We have moved back to the same village only a few houses away from our old one, and have loved every second of the 9 months we have been back!

I think I thought the grass was greener elsewhere, but quickly realised we had the very best of everything already! Maybe I just wanted to double check!!!

I do agree in the main though

Guest treesea

We lived in a couple of places in England - Cambridge and Manchester - after we came back. Fully intended to live in my hometown, London, but it is such a broken down city compared to how it was 20 years ago. And things like not automatically being able to send our children to their local school didn't appeal to me. Eventually we moved to Edinburgh, chasing the sea, sunny weather and decent schools and hospitals, all here in abundance. We were also chasing the snow. Lol, if I knew then what I know now, that there is snow, but mostly in the far south of Britain, I would have moved to Devon!

It is something to keep in mind if you do come back, that the place you left could have changed in ways it may take some getting used to while you have been away.

We had a good look around Yorkshire when we came back, where a lot of my family live. I just couldn't believe how different it was. I was all set to visit people in and around where my grandparents lived (Barnsley) - there was no one left! They'd all emigrated. Spain, France, Canada, NZ, Australia, the States - you name it, in the 20 years since I had last been there, they had all gone. In those houses now there are Poles, Ukranians, asylum seekers from who knows where. The next door neighbours are Maltese. The place that was the sweet shop is now turned back into a house and has a Bangladeshi family. The factory up the road is still going strong as is the foundry over the back. It was just such a surreal feeling, seeing the United Nations pouring from their doors at knocking off time when going back 20 years, they were your friends mums and dads who worked there.

We lived in a couple of places in England - Cambridge and Manchester - after we came back. Fully intended to live in my hometown, London, but it is such a broken down city compared to how it was 20 years ago. And things like not automatically being able to send our children to their local school didn't appeal to me. Eventually we moved to Edinburgh, chasing the sea, sunny weather and decent schools and hospitals, all here in abundance. We were also chasing the snow. Lol, if I knew then what I know now, that there is snow, but mostly in the far south of Britain, I would have moved to Devon!

It is something to keep in mind if you do come back, that the place you left could have changed in ways it may take some getting used to while you have been away.

We had a good look around Yorkshire when we came back, where a lot of my family live. I just couldn't believe how different it was. I was all set to visit people in and around where my grandparents lived (Barnsley) - there was no one left! They'd all emigrated. Spain, France, Canada, NZ, Australia, the States - you name it, in the 20 years since I had last been there, they had all gone. In those houses now there are Poles, Ukranians, asylum seekers from who knows where. The next door neighbours are Maltese. The place that was the sweet shop is now turned back into a house and has a Bangladeshi family. The factory up the road is still going strong as is the foundry over the back. It was just such a surreal feeling, seeing the United Nations pouring from their doors at knocking off time when going back 20 years, they were your friends mums and dads who worked there.

Tha not reet still plenty o barnsley tarn folk still left , havin frequented tarn on numerous weekends , still plenty o doilums , the poles will prob be rentin from the sharks who bought the houses from strugglin folk for next to nowt and are renti them out at exorbitant prices

Well you are ascended from gods country so tha`ll do for me youngun

Mally

Archived