accomodation worries

Guest hazelandmathew

Guest hazelandmathew

Hiya can anyone give any advice on the chances of getting a one bed flat around gardenvale. Me and my husband are moving over on the 3rd of May and Im getting worried that we wont be able to find accomodation and end up stressing out bigtime. Ill be working in gardenvale but will finish in the late evenings so would be worried about travelling far by buses trains etc. We would be more than happy with a one bed flat. I have seen quite a few on realestate.com for up to 7-10 days but was wondering if they are just slow at updating their website?

Also where would be the best place to buy a cheap washing machine, fridge etc?

cheers

Hazel:wub:

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Hazel

Gardenvale is a lovely area to have a job and there are some lovely suburbs around. Unfortunately, in regards to long term rentals no one will consider you until you have touched down in Melbourne. This can add to the frustration but to be honest with you I think it is for the best. Most of the people who come over have a suburb in mind where they want to live, but when they arrive it is totally different to what they thought and they go elsewhere. If rentals were for 6 months then it could be worth taking that risk but believe me 12 months in an area you don't like could make or break you.

Have you a budget in mind?

In regards to realestate, the agents do try to keep on top of it but I will be honest and say that although you may see lots of rentals on there for your area, when you actually want to get one it can be a nightmare, the reason being is that agents will advertise a rental before it is even available, then when it is available they will have an Open for Inspection (OFI) which is usually once a week, during this time frame you will get everyone who is interested in the house turning up together. Usually if a house as been on realestate for 2 weeks and it is available now then there is something wrong with it OR they haven't organised an OFI date.

In regards to washing machines etc try the Good Guys Store Home

Good luck with everything and don't stress things usually just fall in to place.

Kate

Guest hazelandmathew

Hi Kate thanks very much for your advice, it has really given me a better idea of what to expect when we touch down. For a budget we want to get somewhere for no more than 320-330. Above that will be a bit tight until my husband gets a job sorted. Is the credit crunch hit as bad as here for general unskilled jobs or are things ok for temping etc?

Anyway,you have made me feel much better Cheers!

Hazel:wubclub:

Guest The Pom Queen

Budget wise you should be fine for a 1/2 bed house/flat there are some nice flats in Brighton at the moment that are around $320 they would be ideal for you as you wouldn't have far on the train in to work.

In regards to employment, it is hard to walk in to any kind of job over here at present and unfortunately you can't expect to have one immediately, but then this would be the same in the UK. What I always recommend to my clients is to try and volunteer in something that is related to what you want to do and usually work contacts come from this.

It all depends on what work you are wanting as to how easy or hard it is.

Kate

Archived