IELTS - how difficult/easy

julzcary

Hi,

I was just wondering how difficult or easy it is to reac level 7 in all 4 components of the english test? I was reckoning on needing the 25 points in it, to avoid my OH having to undergo the skills assessment.

Anybody achieved it?

Thanks

Julie

That probably was an academic test example, which you dont need to do. My OH did his IELTS over a year ago now and passed 1st time. It's not easy peasy but it's also not the hardest test either. We got lots of practise in and did an hour a night for 2 weeks before.

You dont get a choice of essays but on the general test you dont have to write about facts and figures... I can't remember now what he said he had to write about but usually something like a letter first and then write about whether the internet is a good thing or bad thing - that type of essay.

Good luck!

I'm sure I'll pass, as I'm degree standard and write reports etc all day long, but according to the points criteria, I need the 25 points (which you need to reach level 7 in all of the elements), in order that my OH doesn't need to go through the skills assessment which will be a ball ache for a self employed painter and decorator with no formal qualifications!!

What level have people reached who have sat the exam?

Thanks for your help.

Julie

I did the test last year which I also worried about reaching level 7 but I got a couple of good books of amazon and spent about a month doing some revision just to refresh my memory and get into writing a few essays as it has been a few years since uni and I came out with

Listening 8.5

Reading 7.5

Writing 8

Speaking 9

I had only given myself a month to prepare before the exam so didnt think that was too bad

Guest latina

I think that if English is your mother tongue, you shouldn't have any problem.

Remember that IELTS tests are primaraly for people whose first langue is not English.

English is not my mother tongue so I did have to work for a few weeks to get the 25 points.

A friend of mine who's English passed it by just doing one sample exam...

It's definitely worth doing as it's cheaper and less time consuming that doing a skill assessment.

Good Luck!

Hi, I just got my IELTS results today. I got 9s for everything apart from the reading - I got a 7.5. I was a little shocked as I thought I had done the best in reading. I was worried about sitting the test - just the writing part as I had looked up example papers and some of the questions I wasn't that sure of. I think I was looking at academic papers as my question was straight forward. I did 3 practice writing papers before the test and no preperation for the other sections. You will be fine. I pitty those that have to sit is as a second language though as I needed, and used, all the time allocated.

Archived