Melbourne gets 4.6 Earthquake

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

Geez don't the gods think we have had enough down here. We have had the fires, the 150 k winds and now an earthquake all in the last month:no:

The windows started rattling for us and then the sofa and floor started moving, thankfully no damage or harm as come of anyone, phew. Here is the latest news article:

UPDATE 10.24pm: FRIGHTENED Victorians were left shaken by an earthquake measuring 4.6 on the Richter Scale and spanning more than 200km tonight.

Police were flooded with calls from hundreds of worried residents from north of Melbourne to Sale in Gippsland after the earth shook for a few seconds just after 9pm.

The epicentre hit just north of Korumburra in South Gippsland, but the earthquake was powerful enough to shake buildings and cause some residents to fall off their couches in metropolitan Melbourne.

Some homes around Korumburra and Leongatha lost power for up to 10 minutes.

A Victoria Police spokeswoman said there were no reports of any injuries or property damage.

Phil Cummins, duty seismologist at Geoscience Australia, which monitors earthquake activity, confirmed the tremor measured 4.6.

"It was certainly a moderate earthquake that was likely to be felt across a wide area but is unlikely to have caused any damage, except possibly some minor damage near the epicentre,'' Mr Cummins said.

Korumburra Hotel bar worker Kylie Luttrel said she thought the pub had been hit by a truck.

"We get lots of trucks through here, so when the earth started shaking, my first thought was that a truck was about to smash through,'' Ms Luttrel said.

But she said patrons remained calm, and nothing had been damaged.

"Nobody screamed, but everybody was a little anxious.''

Korumburra resident James Carter said the quake shook books off the shelves in his family home.

"There were also paintings falling off walls, power out, and the phone network down,'' Mr Carter said.

Gerry Davenport, 82, was sitting in his Scoresby home when he felt the tremor.

"I didn't know if someone had run into the house, because it was vibrating so badly,'' Mr Davenport said.

Langwarrin farmer Jenny Haig, 56, was watching TV when the windows started rattling.

"I jumped up to run to my husband when it happened, it was pretty scary,'' Ms Haig said.

Endeavour Hills resident Davide Andreotti said the episode was frightening.

"The room and coffee table started shaking for about 10 seconds,'' Mr Andreotti said.

I never thought to feel something like this in Melbourne!''

Archived