Tv's In Oz

Guest col&dee

Guest col&dee

Is it worth me taking my television. In oz its 230volt 50hz but I read on a thread the other day that uk tv's will not work in Australia, is this the case. They will be ok to operate power wise as its the same voltage and frequency. Can you search and pick up Australian channels with a uk made tv or will it only search and find home and away and neighbours.

Guest steve110

the broad answer is that they use different frequncies/wavelengths to recieve the broadcast signals,however i am aware that some can pick up some channels,but its down to pot luck

Guest thepriceclan

Not sure if this is right but I have read on other posts that if you buy an australian video recorder and connect it to the tv you can watch it as normal as you are using it to pickup the channels. Also if you have their version of cable tv I think it works the same. Don't quote me on it though!

We are taking all our tvs with us as you would get nothing here if you sold them and the kids can watch videos and dvds on theres in their rooms.

Guest SAINTHURLOCK

am in the tv broadcast game and cannot see why your tv wouldnt work over there,a decoder is a decoder no matter what country you are in and thats all that is built in to your tv,obviously you will need plug adaptors for any uk appliances.

Guest col&dee

Yeah, hope you are right, that's what we initially thought too but the thread the other day made us think twice.

Cheers.

Hi Col&dee

Yes bring your tv we brought our lcd tv which we got from currys in 2003 and it works fine here with an aussie top box (which we got cheap of ebay here or in a any of the shops)

Dvd player works here too - some of the dvds are pal 2 & 4 here so thats oz and uk, if you have a multi region dvd you are onto a winner if not bring the uk one and ust buy a cheap dvd player when you get here, our mobiles work here wih oz sim in then and also our cordless land line phone works fine too

Guest BullcreekBob
the broad answer is that they use different frequncies/wavelengths to recieve the broadcast signals,however i am aware that some can pick up some channels,but its down to pot luck

G'day

Pot luck has nothing to do with it. Perhaps I can interupt your speculation with some facts.

Analog TV - Australia uses two different standards. PAL/B (also called VHF) and PAL/G (also called UHF). The main networks (2,7.9 & 10) are PAL/B. PAL/G is used for Network 28 (SBS) and 31 (Local TV). In most major cities there are also copies of the main network's signals on the PAL/G network because it tends to give better reception especially when there are lots of buildings and other things that disrupt a normal TV signal.

The UK uses a variant of PAL/B called PAL/I which uses slightly more bandwidth than PAL/B and consequently can in theory have a better picture and sound quality. Most of the rest of Europe uses PAL/B except France which uses the SECAM system. Most TV's sold in the UK can also be used in Europe, therefore thay can also be used in Australia. It tends to be only very cheap TV's sold in the UK that are only PAL/I. Check your TV and you will soon see if it will work here.

Digital TV and set top boxes - Australia uses the DVB-T standard which is used in most of the world including the UK. All UK TV's with a digital tuner should work fine.

Even if your UK bought TV is only PAL/I, it can still be used here in Australia if you attach it to something that has a PAL/B or PAL/G or DVB-T tuner such as a video player, set top box etc. A cheap digital set top box will cost about $50 or 20 pound.

Are you clear yet? Ready for the exam?

Cheers

Bob in Bull Creek

Guest col&dee
Hi Col&dee

Yes bring your tv we brought our lcd tv which we got from currys in 2003 and it works fine here with an aussie top box (which we got cheap of ebay here or in a any of the shops)

Dvd player works here too - some of the dvds are pal 2 & 4 here so thats oz and uk, if you have a multi region dvd you are onto a winner if not bring the uk one and ust buy a cheap dvd player when you get here, our mobiles work here wih oz sim in then and also our cordless land line phone works fine too

Cheers Gizmo,

We've also got LCD TV's bought from Curry's in 2004 so good to hear that we should have no problem.

Dee

Guest col&dee

:arghh: :arghh:

G'day

Pot luck has nothing to do with it. Perhaps I can interupt your speculation with some facts.

Analog TV - Australia uses two different standards. PAL/B (also called VHF) and PAL/G (also called UHF). The main networks (2,7.9 & 10) are PAL/B. PAL/G is used for Network 28 (SBS) and 31 (Local TV). In most major cities there are also copies of the main network's signals on the PAL/G network because it tends to give better reception especially when there are lots of buildings and other things that disrupt a normal TV signal.

The UK uses a variant of PAL/B called PAL/I which uses slightly more bandwidth than PAL/B and consequently can in theory have a better picture and sound quality. Most of the rest of Europe uses PAL/B except France which uses the SECAM system. Most TV's sold in the UK can also be used in Europe, therefore thay can also be used in Australia. It tends to be only very cheap TV's sold in the UK that are only PAL/I. Check your TV and you will soon see if it will work here.

Digital TV and set top boxes - Australia uses the DVB-T standard which is used in most of the world including the UK. All UK TV's with a digital tuner should work fine.

Even if your UK bought TV is only PAL/I, it can still be used here in Australia if you attach it to something that has a PAL/B or PAL/G or DVB-T tuner such as a video player, set top box etc. A cheap digital set top box will cost about $50 or 20 pound.

Cheers

Bob in Bull Creek

Thanks for the info Bull Creek Bob.

You will have to give me some more time to read through this before the exam. May also have to pay to go for an HNC in TV wavelengths. This is as clear as mud ,is it in english?

Tried to read it a couple of times but ended up at the fridge for another can of fosters.Every time I read it my head hurts. Will maybe i will understand it better when i get to OZ doubt it though. My tele will work anyway, cheers :arghh:

Guest steve110
G'day

Cheers

Bob in Bull Creek

i bow to your superior knowledge mate,i was only saying what i was told ....

EXAM? no one said anything to me about an exam .....lol

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Cool_Eyes
:arghh: :arghh:

Thanks for the info Bull Creek Bob.

You will have to give me some more time to read through this before the exam. May also have to pay to go for an HNC in TV wavelengths. This is as clear as mud ,is it in english?

Tried to read it a couple of times but ended up at the fridge for another can of fosters.Every time I read it my head hurts. Will maybe i will understand it better when i get to OZ doubt it though. My tele will work anyway, cheers :arghh:

Hello,

I was thinking about buying a brand new 40inch lcd tv in the uk and shipping it over from the uk a your tv's in aus seem to be very expensive compared to the uk !

Guest BullcreekBob
Friends of ours sent a Telly to NSW in the 90s. Lovely picture BUT no sound !!!

G'day

If you buy it just before you go, can't you claim the VAT back? Best to check that the warantee is valid in Aust and that parts and service are available.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest koala12

Hi, Where do you buy these set top boxes and what are they called - excuse my ignorance!? We bought with a TV which I would like to be able to use in one of the bedrooms so if I could get one of these it would work as at the moment we have picture but no sound!

Archived