Electrical regs course

Guest Jamiefrod

Guest Jamiefrod

Anyone know who offers the aussie regs course in Perth? I checked out all the TAFE colleges i could find but no luck.

cheers

Jamie

Guest theweekshousehold

try Balga TAFE in the northern suburbs You can contact them at P.O. Box 1336 Midland WA 6936 or alternatively call them on (08) 9207 4200.

hope this helps.

TIM

Guest col&dee

Hi there

Regarding sparky work in OZ. I hope to be moving to brisbane within the next few months. Can you not work unless you obtain a qualified grade card for queensland (in my case). I thought you can start working for a company and they would put you forward for whatever courses/ assessments are required.

Guest troyski99
Hi there

Regarding sparky work in OZ. I hope to be moving to brisbane within the next few months. Can you not work unless you obtain a qualified grade card for queensland (in my case). I thought you can start working for a company and they would put you forward for whatever courses/ assessments are required.

there are different rules for each state, in perth you need to be licenced but in queensland this is not the case.

Guest Stu:0
there are different rules for each state, in perth you need to be licenced but in queensland this is not the case.

Sorry mate you do need to be licenced in queensland. Each state does things different. SA is the easyest to get the licence and victoria the hardest. Queensland you need to apply for an ARTC which you can get from over here from the same place you got your TRA application. It is almost the same as filling in the TRA. You send this application back,they will then issue you it only to an oz address though which alows you to work supervised, which basicaly means less money. You then take your ARTC to the local TAFE sit down with them and they decide which courses you need to do dependent on the type of electrician you are(fitter or mechanic) from what i can gather best going for mechanic. Depending on your experiance and what you have proved to them you may just do a night course with exam or maybe have to fill in a log book aswell. You wont have much change out of a couple of thousend $ by the end of it. Belive me this is correct as im off to cairns in june and looked into it all. You also need to do a cpr course and h&s course. Its a long road ahead im afraid. Iv just finished my ARTC application ready o send s soon as visa arrives.

Stu

Guest col&dee

Thanks for the info Stu

I just assumed as long as you could prove your work history as an Electrical apprentice and Approved electrician with current grade card that you would be require to sit something simlar to our ECS assessment and apply for a queensland licience.Then again it is OZ and they seem to like there paperwork. Didnt think you would have to go back to college if so what is the point of TRA in the first place.

Regarding the ARTC is it worth filling this out before you go if you cant get issued it until your there, or does it take time for them to review your application.Can I get a ARTC application online or can I obtain through my visa agent.I take you cant try to get a job without ARTC and a company would start you and help you with the process.Cant beleive there screaming out for skilled labour and when you get there they want you to be out of pocket and do college courses.

Any info you could provide me with stu it would be appreciated. Looks like im going back to do another apprenticeship then. An idea of rates of pay over there?

Thanks for the info Stu

I just assumed as long as you could prove your work history as an Electrical apprentice and Approved electrician with current grade card that you would be require to sit something simlar to our ECS assessment and apply for a queensland licience.Then again it is OZ and they seem to like there paperwork. Didnt think you would have to go back to college if so what is the point of TRA in the first place.

Regarding the ARTC is it worth filling this out before you go if you cant get issued it until your there, or does it take time for them to review your application.Can I get a ARTC application online or can I obtain through my visa agent.I take you cant try to get a job without ARTC and a company would start you and help you with the process.Cant beleive there screaming out for skilled labour and when you get there they want you to be out of pocket and do college courses.

Any info you could provide me with stu it would be appreciated. Looks like im going back to do another apprenticeship then. An idea of rates of pay over there?

Firstly there is the link to get your ARTC application

http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplace/Category/SchemesInitiatives/TRA/

click on number two and have a read.

Yes you can apply for it from over here and i advise you to do so. The TRA is only the first step, gets you into australia thats it. This is the big problem that people dont realise. You need to fill out the application form, put a copy of your TRA with it, need an up to date referance from your boss and any old bosses youv had, get someone to take photos of you working-conecting up fuseboards that sort of thing,copy of all your cerificates and full write up on everything that you have ever done but that is probably in your TRA. You need to have an oz address to have it sent to thats the only problem, if you havent at least you can have it all ready to send as soon as you get there. Iv struck lucky and got friendly with a spark off another forum who i can have it sent to plus he's got me a job as soon as we get there. As far as money goes you are looking at $22-$24 an hour as a trade assistant and $26-$30 when you get your licence. Not great money, well not compared to hear. If you want the big bucks you want to head for the mines. 1st year apprentices get around $28 an hour. Depends what you want in life. Hope that helps a little. Anything else give me a shout!

Stu

Guest troyski99

i thought they were desperate for electricians over there!! it dosen't seem that their doing them selves any favors, i'm reconsidering the whole thing now, i ain't got time to be putting up with all this nonsense, i go through enough red tape over here, at least here you get paid well for it!

i thought they were desperate for electricians over there!! it dosen't seem that their doing them selves any favors, i'm reconsidering the whole thing now, i ain't got time to be putting up with all this nonsense, i go through enough red tape over here, at least here you get paid well for it!

I think a lot of people would think the same as you mate if they new what was in store for them. Its not to bad if your a single guy or just the missus but if youv a family to support and you land over there not knowing about all the red tape it cant be very nice. All i can say is the more research you do the better. Iv spent a fair bit of time putting my ARTC together. You do hear of people getting that turned down if its not up to scratch. Imagine that getting over there not knowing you have to fill out the ARTC and when you do they turn it down and say they dont think your up to scratch. It does happen! The best thing i can advise anyone to do is get that ARTC done and try find someone in oz you can have the results sent to. You dont want to get over there and find they wont accept you as an electrician, what do you do then??? If youve filled in a TRA for immigration the ARTC is free otherwise its £300.

Follow that link i put in a post above and get your forms!

Stu

Guest col&dee

Thanks again for the info stu

Take it i will have to get back to doing more paperwork then. My wife is a teacher and its all paperwork with her aswell.

I understand why your going to Oz, worked in the water pump station for a year down your neck of the woods and it rained every day. Wellies and waterproofs, drive you to Oz. Was in cairns on hols in 2003 and thought it was rather muggey. Wish you all the best and I'll have a look over the ARTC link later cheers.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest sarahwest

Hi Stu my husband and my young family want to more to oz, we have beentalking about it forever! he like yourself is a electrician and has city and guilds and 2391 testing and inspection and 16th edition i was wondering would you know at all what grade electrician he would be ( poss) we just would like an idea, also we have been thinking about just coming out on a working visa and then applying for the full imagration once out there, could i have some views on if other people have done this, kind regards Sarah :realmad: :chatterbox:

Guest sneaky

Alrite everyone

Been lookin for the ARTC application form but cant seem to find it. A little help please..

Also, has anyone read the TRA Easter bulletin?

It mentions some changes starting 1st July which may make things easier for us sparks:goofy:

Stu, you seem to be the most clued up on the ARTC, etc...

can you shead a little light on it:idea:

Cheers

Sneaky

Guest col&dee

HI Sneaky

If you look further back up the thread stu has put the web address to get into info on the ARTC application. Although i dont think you can print off or see the application in the web page. There however is an address and contact details of the TRA in melbourne. I sent an email off to melbourne and they posted out the application it took about 5 days from sending an email request. If you are the main visa applicant its mostly the same questions that you done in your TRA.

Hi Stu my husband and my young family want to more to oz, we have beentalking about it forever! he like yourself is a electrician and has city and guilds and 2391 testing and inspection and 16th edition i was wondering would you know at all what grade electrician he would be ( poss) we just would like an idea, also we have been thinking about just coming out on a working visa and then applying for the full imagration once out there, could i have some views on if other people have done this, kind regards Sarah :realmad: :chatterbox:

Hi Sarah,

Sounds like your other half has the same qualifications as me. Firstly dont even think of going out there on a holiday visa if he's thinking as working as an electrician. He wont be able to. Well he might but will be breaking the law big time and you dont want to ruin things for the chance of going there for good. You need to have the ARTC to work as an electrician and even then you can only work what is classed as supervised. You cannot get an ARTC on a holiday visa. Your best bet is get the ball rolling for the 136 visa. Each state does things very diferent as what is needed to get your full licence. He is best just putting in for the general electrician on the 136 visa form.

Like i said each state is different with SA easyest and as far as i remember Victoria is the hardest to get the licence. If you head for queensland like myself there are two types of licence- electrical mechanic and electrical fitter. Mechanic is more for house bashers and fitter is for maintenance guys that work on plc's. Mechanic is the one to go for as it means you can work on everything.

Hope that helps a little, if you need anything else please ask and i will try help.

9 weeks and im over there.

Will keep posting on here to let you all know how things are going as far as getting the licence goes.

Stu

Archived