Is there any place to get help/advice with all aspects of moving back to the UK?

Guest Murra

Does anyone know of a website or organisation which can give help and advice about all the different aspects of moving back to the UK please?

I have been out here for 11 years and am looking at all the issues that have to be considered for going back e.g. jobs, financial/benefits if I can't get work immediately, what happens to Australian superannuation if I go back, help with rentals (I have dogs that will be going back with me)?

I would be going back alone (apart from the dogs, of course!)

Thanks for the starting point - it's good to have a place to begin! Migrating to Oz was greatly helped by having a migration agent to walk us through the whole process, but there doesn't seem to be anyone who can be a "one stop shop" for people wanting to return!

Guest lovediving

Hi,

I can advise you on the rental situation. If you show enough money in your account you should be OK as your credit file will mean nothing now after that amount of years.

I think the rental market is quite good for people at the moment, I may be wrong but a lot of people I know are trying to rent their properties out.

What area are you planning on going to ?

regards

Does anyone know of a website or organisation which can give help and advice about all the different aspects of moving back to the UK please?

I have been out here for 11 years and am looking at all the issues that have to be considered for going back e.g. jobs, financial/benefits if I can't get work immediately, what happens to Australian superannuation if I go back, help with rentals (I have dogs that will be going back with me)?

I would be going back alone (apart from the dogs, of course!)

I have no idea yet as would have to go to where the work was - I am a further education lecturer - but am looking at the South Yorkshire or Derbyshire area at the moment.

I would love to go sooner, but realise that it's probably going to be about 18 months to 2 years before I go, as I have a house to sell here and other things to pay off before I can make the move. I have 4 dogs too, one of whom is 11 now, so not sure how it will be transporting him back to the UK as an aged dog! The rental would have to be a dog proof one, with a decent bit of garden and in a rural location (don't want much, do I?!!)

As you can see, I have a few things to consider and I need to find out as much as I can about all the costs involved in moving as well as sorting out a place to live for when I get back.

Thanks for your reply - it's all useful to me:smile:

Guest lovediving
I have no idea yet as would have to go to where the work was - I am a further education lecturer - but am looking at the South Yorkshire or Derbyshire area at the moment.

I would love to go sooner, but realise that it's probably going to be about 18 months to 2 years before I go, as I have a house to sell here and other things to pay off before I can make the move. I have 4 dogs too, one of whom is 11 now, so not sure how it will be transporting him back to the UK as an aged dog! The rental would have to be a dog proof one, with a decent bit of garden and in a rural location (don't want much, do I?!!)

As you can see, I have a few things to consider and I need to find out as much as I can about all the costs involved in moving as well as sorting out a place to live for when I get back.

Thanks for your reply - it's all useful to me:smile:

Hi,

Rough list of things to consider would be:-

Shipping - Grace Removals can give you a quote via email

Dogs plus quarantine - someone else could advise you on this

Initial rental costs - rightmove.co.uk is a good site to gage what they are in areas that you are considering. Normally agents do credit checks but if you show you have enough money to afford it for a while they should be fine or go privately.

I dont think it is overly complicated, you already have your existing NI number from when you lived there before it is just a case of getting a job and going back into the system.

There are lots of people on this site from the areas you are considering going so they should be able to advise you more on types of properties, infrastructure in the areas etc.

I know that you need to let the ATO you are leaving the country for good so they do not expect you to file your yearly returns otherwise they fine people.

Wish you all the best.

Guest treesea

When we came back, we lived in a couple of places in England before finally decided on Scotland, so you'll save heaps of money if you already know approximately where you want to live when you come back.

You can't get any help from the government, either on working tax credit or DWP, if you have more than £16K in liquid assets, - and that figure is for a family, so is probably a lot less for someone single.

In the event you can't get work straight away and want to claim job seekers allowance and housing benefit, the DWP in particular (as opposed to if you are working/self employed and earning less than the minimum income guarantee amount, so applying for working tax credit through the HMRC, who are business like and from what we have seen, never hassle claimants) may give you a hard time about claiming job seekers allowance and saying you have to be back six months before you are entitled. Cr*p! If you get this treatment, escalate it up through the DWP management, and make sure that when you do get paid eventually, that it is backdated to the day you arrive home. There is NO stand down period if you are moving back to Britain permanently. If you come back to Britain, intending to stay for three years or more, you are "ordinarily resident" straight away.

The only time this may not apply is for people wanting to go to university or higher education here. You may have to be resident for three years before being entitled to a free fee place. This even applies between the countries in the UK. When we moved from England to Scotland, we were advised that we had to be living here for three years before we could take free higher education courses.

For bringing your dogs back to the UK, check with defra (www.defra.gov.uk). I wouldn't rely on their haphazard website though. It might be better to email them and get the answer straight form the horse's mouth, so to speak. Taking dogs back by air sounds horrible. They have to travel as manifest cargo (i.e. not under a passenger's baggage allowance). We took our dog out the first time we went to Australia by sea, and went with him. I suppose the days of the pampered pooch/around the world sea voyages being an affordable option are over, more's the pity.

Thanks for all that information Treesea - it's the sort of thing I need to know about before taking the plunge!

With regard to the dogs - I actually brought 3 dogs over to Australia with me when I came here in 1998, and used a very good pet shipping service in the UK to do this. The dogs only had to go into quarantine for 30 days, although they did have to do this in Melbourne as that was the nearest quarantine centre (I was in Adelaide so a bit of a drive to get them when the time came!) They were all fine and settled in quickly, although I was a nervous wreck until I knew they'd arrived in Australia safely as they left UK before me)

Going by sea sounds great - I would love that, but not sure it would be that cost effective!

I also have about half a container of goods to go back to the UK, so if anyone's got a rough idea on costs for that, it would be useful?

Guest lovediving

You really need to send some mails to shipping companies such as Grace, Pickfords, etc. They will send you an inventory that you can fill out and tell them whether you need packing or not, access, etc.

You can get a free quote from them so it will be more exact.

Thanks for all that information Treesea - it's the sort of thing I need to know about before taking the plunge!

With regard to the dogs - I actually brought 3 dogs over to Australia with me when I came here in 1998, and used a very good pet shipping service in the UK to do this. The dogs only had to go into quarantine for 30 days, although they did have to do this in Melbourne as that was the nearest quarantine centre (I was in Adelaide so a bit of a drive to get them when the time came!) They were all fine and settled in quickly, although I was a nervous wreck until I knew they'd arrived in Australia safely as they left UK before me)

Going by sea sounds great - I would love that, but not sure it would be that cost effective!

I also have about half a container of goods to go back to the UK, so if anyone's got a rough idea on costs for that, it would be useful?

Thanks for that - I will do some research and make contact with a few of them. I used Allied Pickfords when I came out here 11 years ago, but I notice on one of the threads that someone mentioned that they were pretty expensive compared to a lot of others, so will check it out ASAP so that I can start budgeting ASAP

Guest proud2beaussie

I just wanted to thank treesea for a really helpfull,informative post which I am sure will be of great value to lots of people thinking of going back to the UK.

Thanks

N'OZ

Archived