going crazy

fluffy

Im in need of some help, ive just moved from Melbourne to Brisbane after only 5 months in mel I was working in tele sales in mel but its not what i want to do as I have completed a marketing management degree, I am finding it very hard to find a job in this industry as I have no experience but I have the qualifications, does anyone have any advice as to how i can get into this industry. please please help.:arghh:

yeah i am british, Ive only been in Brisbane for 2weeks so its fairly hard to compare, but Brisbane is much much greener which is lovely to see, the weather in brisbane has ben lovely too, even when the sky is grey its still very warm, so far it seems that there are less (bogans) as the ozzys call them, the city I havent seen to much of how ever what I have seen seems fairly similar to mel city, melbourne is very very multicultured where as I havent seen it was much here. With the bogan thing, in melbourne it seemed that there were towns that were full of them which were places that were always slagged off, where as in Brisbane so far it seems that there are less bogans and they dont seem to be all in one area. hope this helps you?

Im in need of some help, ive just moved from Melbourne to Brisbane after only 5 months in mel I was working in tele sales in mel but its not what i want to do as I have completed a marketing management degree, I am finding it very hard to find a job in this industry as I have no experience but I have the qualifications, does anyone have any advice as to how i can get into this industry. please please help.:arghh:

Hi Fluffy,

You must be getting so frustrated! I'm in Perth, so am not sure how different the job markets over there are, but I work in Marketing and Events and have recently canged jobs as my last role was made redundant. I was fortunate enough to get another job straight away, but I know that jobs in tis industry at the moment are far and few between and there is a LOT of people applying for them, so competition is high (the job I ended up getting was applied for by almost 80 applicants!).

So suggestions... I'm not sure how much experience/qualifications you have so I'm going to make these suggestions on the basis that you don't have much and therefore haven't done these things already... apologies if I'm preaching to the choir.

You need to make your resume stand completely out from the crowd- have you thought of different ways to present your CV? For example, if you were applying for a job marketing a restaurant, send your CV rolled up in an empty wine bottle. Marketing bosses love these sort of fresh ideas.

I remember when I got my first job out of Uni, I was like you and had been applying for 6 months straight and always being pipped at the post by someone with more experience. So when a job came up that I was really excited about, I sent my CV in the form of a media release/kit and did up a fake media release from the POV of the company whom I wanted the job with as if it was stating they had already hired me and were as excited about me stating as I was starting with them. It worked a treat and I got the job. It also shows you have researched the company and/or bosses.

Keep on it, do a mail out to companies who may or may not be hiring right now and just ask them to keep you on record. Apply for all jobs that come up even if you think you aren't qualified, you may get lucky! And most importantly when you get an interview say something along the lines of "'I may not be the most qualified person you interview, BUT I can guarantee that I want this job the most and I will be willing to work the hardest to prove this" etc or someting along those lines.

OK so if this helps at all I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, keep your chin up, something will come along.

Sorry about my spelling- am in a rush and at work! Whoops!

:cute:

Thank bexta

all that info was so helpful, your right about the fact i need to stand out in other ways, as I have no experience and just my qualifications.

I loved the ideas you have giving me think i might have to apply to a winery just so I can drink the wine in the first place.

The area of marketing you are in is the area I really want to get into, however at this stage I will be taking any area of marketing so I can get my foot in the door, and show them what I am made of. thank you so much again.

Guest proud2beaussie

Getting a foot in the door is probably the hardest part,especially as the country is in the early stages of recession,all you can really do is keep applying for anything that you think you would be suitable for,and hopefully you will get lucky,again be aware that a lot of senior positions in marketing will require you to have a permanent resident visa,that goes especially for large,multi national companies,one of my clients is looking for a marketing director at the moment,so there are jobs available,but unfortunately this position requires experience and Australian citizenship.

Good Luck with finding something quickly.

N'OZ

Archived