Transport overview...

LukeM

Well, personally, after my holiday (I'm finally finding time to catch up on making some posts around here!) I'd like to rate the transport system on a whole VERY impressive in Queensland and South Australia. New South Wales? Not so impressed.

Whilst in Queensland, we found the buses around the Gold Coast to be clean - free of graffiti, no gum on the seats, no litter, smooth-running and safe to be in. The drivers were all very helpful and if you're heading somewhere, just have to mention it to them and they'll tell you when to get off if you're not sure where you are. Nicely air-conditioned, lots of room and so on. Only thing is, hailing the driver can sometimes be interesting! As for the city of Brisbane - transport only got better. Trains were decent and the overall cost of transport (being able to travel by bus, train, and CityCat throughout the whole day across the city for $4 each was VERY good!)

New South Wales - in Sydney, at least, we used the trains... they were similar (but with two floors) to those running in Queensland. Horrible. Graffiti, dirt, smell... disgusting mess they were! And costly. Not worth what we paid, and I don't think they were using that money to get the graffiti off.

South Australia: again very impressed, with the tram service mostly. Good price, reliable and so on.

Guest Bonniebuster

Hi

We have used public transport in a few cities and also impressed with the service in Brisbane, Perth was excellent, clean, very cheap get off & on as you like, Adelaide from our brief experience seemed clean and efficient. Sydney as you say was not the best but I have been on far worse in uk!

Thanks

Personally I thought Sydney was actually worse (in terms of cleanliness) than the UK! The trains in particular though!! There was gum everywhere, graffiti inside and out, the smell was pretty dire in comparison to the London Underground too!

Sheesh. I'd rather be stood up on an over-croweded bus here again (hint: all over-crowded buses in the UK are run by First Group) and First in general are the worst transport operators any country could wish for!! First Great Western, First Capital Connect - they're all bad!! They're slow, often delayed/cancelled and they're quite good at polluting the environment with their diesel engines too. But it's still a little more pleasant and *safe* feeling in my opinion than Sydney's trains.

Guest John Sydney

Your correct about NSW unfortunately it has been run in the ground by the state labour party. The railways in NSW have been used as a pension plan for has been political hacks - of all levels

Archived