Gumtree does not work from UK

jakc

Im emigrating to Melbourne (still in UK at mo) and have been applying for property ads on Melbourne Gumtree for last month (sharing, short term, rental, etc)

Although it gives the message "your reply has successfully been sent", I think that all my hard work has been for nothing as im pretty sure that they havent gotten through.

I have had no replies, even from estate agents and ive applied for a good 100 ads.

I have also replied to recent ads selling stuff saying ill buy it at asking price and still no reply.

I also spotted that when you create an ad (again, ad posted ok message), the ad never appears and I never get an email confirming that its gone in (like with english gumtree).

Thing is, there are a lot of relevant ads on Gumtree and I need to apply for them.

I think I understand the reasoning behind it, its to stop scammers from "dodgy" countries trying to scam the innocent (which happens a lot on gumtree, ive had this a number of times on English site).

Googling for this issue also throws up similar people ranting about it and blaming gumtree, but nothing helpful. I know Gumtree is a free site, so ive got no intention of writing complaints etc.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how I could get around this? For instance, using some kind of IP address thing to mimic my location to be in Oz? I picked up on this cos I noticed someone talking about iPlayer being blocked in Oz, but he had gotten around it by using some kind of ip hider or something?

I tried looking for Australian proxys, but this did not work either.

Ive also registered on Gumtree but this does not seem to make any difference.

Ive only got till 23rd Feb and dont fancy spending my first month in a backapackers.

I have a few viewings sorted for first couple of weeks from Domain/Real Estate, but a lot more ads on Gumtree look better (and avoid agent fees).

What are other peoples opinions on this?

• 3 years later...

I thought I'd ressurect this thread as I'm having the same difficulty with Gumtree. I'm trying to arrange a short-term rental for my arrival in October but dont know how I'm going to manage this if I cant respond to Gumtree ads.

Has anyone else come up with a solution to this obstacle?

Archived