Are we allowed to take Shells into Australia?

Guest justme

I have two lovely big Shells which belonged to my grandmother. Will I be allowed to take them into Australia when we move? Thanks.

Guest AndyandYvonneD

Hi,

I also have 2 shells which we got from Jamaica that we wanted to take with us.

We were told by removals company that we are not allowed to take them into Australia.

Hope this helps

Yvonne & Andy x

Guest angiebabe

We Brought 2 big shells we found on a Mexico beach..our removal company sought confirmation from quarantine and they said yes providing they were clean of any blood, dirt etc....

we just made sure they were spotless and put in a box clearly marked SHELLS and declared them on the form.

No Problems at all this end.

Guest snow white
We Brought 2 big shells we found on a Mexico beach..our removal company sought confirmation from quarantine and they said yes providing they were clean of any blood, dirt etc....

we just made sure they were spotless and put in a box clearly marked SHELLS and declared them on the form.

No Problems at all this end.

it seems you follow all the rules on waht you can and cant bring and have to leave some things behind you really dont want too then when you get here you find others had no problems and brought the same things with them its hard to tell whats the best to do but i guess if your removal company says definitely not then its best no too

lesley x

Guest spottymercedes

My daughter had shells in her toybox and also conkers. These came into Oz no probs, but we didn't realise they were there or they would have been removed. Goodness knows what would have happened if they had been found by quarantine!!

Guest Trina Findlay

There seems to be mixed experiences in this thread..

I had a few small shells from the beach in my home town, which I didn't realise were in the box, and they arrived safely, no problem. But I had a doll which was made of corn husks, which had belonged to my Grandmother. I didn't even realise what it was made of, and I was absolutely devastated when I found out that customs had incinerated it.

I also lost 2 pairs of walking shoes, because I hadn't cleaned them well enough, and they still had dirt clinging to them - they were also destroyed.

Personally, in hindsight, I would have double checked everything, and anything of sentimental value which I had even the slightest doubt about, I would have left with members of my family who would treasure them as much as I did. That way you may not have them with you, but at least they're still being enjoyed.

Thats very interesting. I may wait until the shipping company say yes or no - I would hate them to go up to my sister's if I had been able to take them!! :wubclub:

I came into Australia with a shell necklace from Easter Island, given to me by the lady who I was staying with. I declared it and got it through no problems.

I left Australia during the same backpacking trip and came back a few months later, again declaring the necklace and this time it was taken off me. I could have had it sprayed for a small fortune but I just begrudgingly left it with them!

So I guess it depends on the person on the day. If you do really want them with you you can pay for it to be decontaminated.

Not sure if this helps as I was carrying them rather than shipping them over...

Archived