kinross

Guest rache&matt

Guest rache&matt

Hi there,

We are looking at living in Kinross.

We have read that it is lke a little britain up there and wanted peoples opinions.

We do want to live around brits but also want to feel like we are in Australia.

Any opinions or info on Kinross would be great, thank you very much to all who respond to this thread.

Rache

Hi there,

We have read that it is lke a little britain up there and wanted peoples opinions.

Any opinions or info on Kinross would be great, thank you very much to all who respond to this thread.

Rache

Hi, most area's especially North of the River are full of poms!!! although you will deffinately know your in oz, kangeroo's everywhere at kinross, sometimes dead on the road too!!! aaaaaawwww!!!!!:sad:

It's a nice area, have friends who live there (Australians) it has a small but ok shopping centre, but is only 5 minutes to Joondalup which has a huge and ever expanding shopping centre, and is now Perth's second city. We're 2 minutes up the road in Clarkson, go though Kinross to get on new freeway extension.

Guest kingsburycourt

Hi ... the main problume you might have in north are the school not sure if you have children but schooling is a big consideration in that area, some schools can be conciderd in a less favourable light than others . we moved here in september 2008 and chose Ocean Reef area just for the schools. Kinross can be cheep but think that could be for a reason . dont let me put you off kinross though the area is great and the houses are of good value. but schools are questionable and its 45- 50min from the city in rush hour. A lot of peaple look the the ocean side of Marmian the main road leading south apart from the freeway look on googal earth. a lot to think about i know, we found it hard to make our minds up, but i can say its the best move we have ever made.... you love it .

Hi ... the main problume you might have in north are the school not sure if you have children but schooling is a big consideration in that area, some schools can be conciderd in a less favourable light than others . we moved here in september 2008 and chose Ocean Reef area just for the schools. Kinross can be cheep but think that could be for a reason . dont let me put you off kinross though the area is great and the houses are of good value. but schools are questionable and its 45- 50min from the city in rush hour. A lot of peaple look the the ocean side of Marmian the main road leading south apart from the freeway look on googal earth. a lot to think about i know, we found it hard to make our minds up, but i can say its the best move we have ever made.... you love it .

Kinross Cheap errrr dont think so ,think kinross high school is good school with good reports . Since its 50 minutes in the rush hour Ocean reef not that good as its only 5 minutes away and that was before the freeway extension ,every where from karrynup road up is bogged in the rush hour as it all starts from there and builds up . A lot of people look at the oceanside but we all dont have mega bucks to pay daft prices if you want to pay nearly a million bucks for 300 sq metres then youre larfin

Mally

Guest harrison family

Hi,

We are also looking at Kinross, and i have been told that the High school in Kinross is really good, the house prices seem to be more afordable than the other side of Marmion avenue. We have friends who live in Mindarie which is further north and they say it is getting expensive to buy there now.

Good Luck

Sallie

Hi

It is always difficult to get a true sense of a place until you are there. I think its depends on a number of things because Perth is a big place to get around and public transport is not as good as it could be. My suggestion is maybe think about the following key things.

1. Where will you be working - if you need Perth City check out the reality of how you will get to the train station if you live in Kinross.

2. Schools - how easy is it for the children to get to the school from where you are thinking of living - will you have to drive them there?

3. What sort of lifestyle do you want? Depending on the activities you like you may have to travel a fair distance from Kinross if its river based or in the City or South of City. Find out more about where your pastime activities will be based.

4. The northern suburbs are packed as a lot of blocks have been infilled/subdivided with either units, townhouses or multiple dwellings on them. This places pressure on all aspects of infrastructure, roads, public transport, parks, cafes etc etc.

5. Do you have pets? Some councils are less pet friendly than others and there are limited facilities for dogs particularity to be off leash in parks or on beaches. My experience of living north of the river is that the beaches where dogs are allowed are often quite narrow and rocky and there are loads and loads of other people wanting to use it and the parking is woeful (hence why I live in Rockingham with 10 dog beaches, lots of off leash areas).

6. Will you need to work late or go to functions in the City - Kinross is a long way from it and the Mitchell Freeway can be a nightmare with the volume of traffic.

7. There are lots of newish estates in Kinross - big houses but on tiny blocks - if you like to have a bit of space around you and enjoy your garden/BBQ/outdoor kitchen patio area type thing you may like to consider looking at older suburbs.

Anyway, just a few things to think about. I am happy to answer any questions you may have as I have lived here since 1994 and lived in many different suburbs as I rented to try before I bought in 2001.

Hi

It is always difficult to get a true sense of a place until you are there. I think its depends on a number of things because Perth is a big place to get around and public transport is not as good as it could be. My suggestion is maybe think about the following key things.

1. Where will you be working - if you need Perth City check out the reality of how you will get to the train station if you live in Kinross.

2. Schools - how easy is it for the children to get to the school from where you are thinking of living - will you have to drive them there?

3. What sort of lifestyle do you want? Depending on the activities you like you may have to travel a fair distance from Kinross if its river based or in the City or South of City. Find out more about where your pastime activities will be based.

4. The northern suburbs are packed as a lot of blocks have been infilled/subdivided with either units, townhouses or multiple dwellings on them. This places pressure on all aspects of infrastructure, roads, public transport, parks, cafes etc etc.

5. Do you have pets? Some councils are less pet friendly than others and there are limited facilities for dogs particularity to be off leash in parks or on beaches. My experience of living north of the river is that the beaches where dogs are allowed are often quite narrow and rocky and there are loads and loads of other people wanting to use it and the parking is woeful (hence why I live in Rockingham with 10 dog beaches, lots of off leash areas).

6. Will you need to work late or go to functions in the City - Kinross is a long way from it and the Mitchell Freeway can be a nightmare with the volume of traffic.

7. There are lots of newish estates in Kinross - big houses but on tiny blocks - if you like to have a bit of space around you and enjoy your garden/BBQ/outdoor kitchen patio area type thing you may like to consider looking at older suburbs.

Anyway, just a few things to think about. I am happy to answer any questions you may have as I have lived here since 1994 and lived in many different suburbs as I rented to try before I bought in 2001.

I'm not sure your correct in any of your statements, are you even talking about the same place?

1, the train stations are Curramine 2 minutes away and Clarkson 4 minutes away.

2, lots of good scholl in the area, Joondalup, kinross etc

3, There's more than enough to keep you ocupied in the North.

4, Where are all these packrd in blocks?

5, There are any number of parks and beaches for dogs in the North, Quinns, Whitfords, Hillary's to name a few..

6, I travel on the Mitchell daily takes me 25 minutes to South Perth (como)

7, my friends house is huge and on a hugr block, with a large pool and plenty of outdoor entertaining areas.

Not being funny but have you been Nor lately? The place your describing is nothing like the reallity.

I have tried to make my post general about things to consider and not specifically about whether Kinross it good or not per se.

I used to live there as well as other northern suburbs. I have friends I visit who live there and my work takes me there, so yes I have been there recently and regularly.

Kinross has lots of streets they could potentially live in so it is worth checking re distance to station, schools etc and how to get there. I used to have to catch the train to work so I do know about that. I also used to take the dogs to some of the places you mention and it was crowded and parking was limited, so yes I do know about that too. I can only go by my experiences, other people may have different ones which I accept may not be similar to my own.

I was trying to be broader than just focusing on Kinross - the comment about block size, if you read my post again, is about the NORTHERN SUBURBS and not specifically about Kinross as I thought it may be useful to be aware of the previous State Governments infill planning in that regard.

People should do their own independent research and not rely on the opinions/perceptions of this forum because it really is a matter of individual needs etc.

I respect your views are different and this should highlight to anyone reading it that they should make up their own mind and have a look for themselves.

Cheers

Julia

I have tried to make my post general about things to consider and not specifically about whether Kinross it good or not per se.

I used to live there as well as other northern suburbs. I have friends I visit who live there and my work takes me there, so yes I have been there recently and regularly.

Kinross has lots of streets they could potentially live in so it is worth checking re distance to station, schools etc and how to get there. I used to have to catch the train to work so I do know about that. I also used to take the dogs to some of the places you mention and it was crowded and parking was limited, so yes I do know about that too. I can only go by my experiences, other people may have different ones which I accept may not be similar to my own.

I was trying to be broader than just focusing on Kinross - the comment about block size, if you read my post again, is about the NORTHERN SUBURBS and not specifically about Kinross as I thought it may be useful to be aware of the previous State Governments infill planning in that regard.

People should do their own independent research and not rely on the opinions/perceptions of this forum because it really is a matter of individual needs etc.

I respect your views are different and this should highlight to anyone reading it that they should make up their own mind and have a look for themselves.

Cheers

Julia

Try sor baldivis ,settlers hills etc they are sor and are the same size blocks etc as is a lot of size blocks in rockingham , been on the dog sandpits there say no more

Maly

Hi Maly

Rockingham has the same thing as the northern areas - many new estates have small blocks, but the older suburbs tend to be 700 to 1200sqm. It pays to look around regardless of suburb or side of the river its on.

Regards

Julia

Guest Allgood Girl

Hello!!

Kinross is lovely. We have lived in the Northern Suburbs for 6 years now & have always been very happy. Never lived in Kinross although have plenty of friends who do & we live in Currambine which is next door suburb. Have tried a few other places aswell but have always stayed around the Northern suburbs. We have a mix of both aussie & english friends and although yes it is like Little Britain that can be fantastic because everybody is in the same position & have all been through the same thing. We embrace everything Australian though & my hubbie & little girl were born here so I am now a fully fledged citizen myself so we'd be a bit rude not to love Oz!!! Even though I haven't had the experience from what I have been told & experienced with friends the high schools around the Northern Suburbs are crazy to get into but pretty much all of them have good reports (with the exception of one where I wouldn't even put my dog (if I had one) but that is strictly a personal opinion!!). The primary schools are all fab from what I hear aswell.

I agree that the best thing you can do is rent somewhere random to start with, Kinross is a fab starting place. From there you can explore both North & Southern suburbs & really get a feel for the place. We lived here for 3 mths over 10 years ago & my god has it changed in that time but its all for the better. My hubby works in the city & has never had any probs getting to & from work on mitchell freeway. Nothing like the probs he had on the M25 in London!!!!!!

Take on board all advice BUT come to Australia with an open mind & open heart. At the end of the day you are coming to the other side of the world which is a huge move so moving around the suburbs to find the best place for you is a walk in the park really....

Good luck :spinny:

Laura xxx

Hi there,

Rache

Hello!!

Kinross is lovely. We have lived in the Northern Suburbs for 6 years now & have always been very happy. Never lived in Kinross although have plenty of friends who do & we live in Currambine which is next door suburb. Have tried a few other places aswell but have always stayed around the Northern suburbs. We have a mix of both aussie & english friends and although yes it is like Little Britain that can be fantastic because everybody is in the same position & have all been through the same thing. We embrace everything Australian though & my hubbie & little girl were born here so I am now a fully fledged citizen myself so we'd be a bit rude not to love Oz!!! Even though I haven't had the experience from what I have been told & experienced with friends the high schools around the Northern Suburbs are crazy to get into but pretty much all of them have good reports (with the exception of one where I wouldn't even put my dog (if I had one) but that is strictly a personal opinion!!).

CLARKSON HIGH

The primary schools are all fab from what I hear aswell.

I agree that the best thing you can do is rent somewhere random to start with, Kinross is a fab starting place. From there you can explore both North & Southern suburbs & really get a feel for the place. We lived here for 3 mths over 10 years ago & my god has it changed in that time but its all for the better. My hubby works in the city & has never had any probs getting to & from work on mitchell freeway. Nothing like the probs he had on the M25 in London!!!!!!

Take on board all advice BUT come to Australia with an open mind & open heart. At the end of the day you are coming to the other side of the world which is a huge move so moving around the suburbs to find the best place for you is a walk in the park really....

Laura xxx[/

Guest guest17301

Kinross looks nice, loads of nice suburbs NOR from my limited experience I would say avoid Heathridge otherwise all looks ok to me. Mindarie-stunning. Clarkson and Tapping lovely, lot of newer housing. I will be working in the city and really don't want to live any further north than Mullaloo, Woodvale areas...Currambine to Perth is 25 mins on train, also factor in driving time from your house to station. Also been on train at rush hour..train went much faster than cars!

Guest rache&matt
Hello!!

Kinross is lovely. We have lived in the Northern Suburbs for 6 years now & have always been very happy. Never lived in Kinross although have plenty of friends who do & we live in Currambine which is next door suburb. Have tried a few other places aswell but have always stayed around the Northern suburbs. We have a mix of both aussie & english friends and although yes it is like Little Britain that can be fantastic because everybody is in the same position & have all been through the same thing. We embrace everything Australian though & my hubbie & little girl were born here so I am now a fully fledged citizen myself so we'd be a bit rude not to love Oz!!! Even though I haven't had the experience from what I have been told & experienced with friends the high schools around the Northern Suburbs are crazy to get into but pretty much all of them have good reports (with the exception of one where I wouldn't even put my dog (if I had one) but that is strictly a personal opinion!!). The primary schools are all fab from what I hear aswell.

Laura xxx

Hi Laura,

thanks for your info on the northern suburbs, I see you live in Currambine, our of interest, what high school does Currambine feed to?

My husband is Kiwi born but lived in aus since he was 15 years old, we have been in UK for 7 years and now ready to return. This is why I ask the Little Britain question because although he likes poms I dont htink he would like to be totally surrounded by them!!!! We are looking for a nice area, with mixture of nationalities, for nice lifestyle for us and our kids. Sounds like Kinross area will suit us. You have Aussie hubby, how does he find the northern suburbs?

Rache

Archived