Balgowlah or Fairlight

Guest blumoo

Hi, my family is planning to move to Sydney and I know my parents have been looking at Balgowlah and Fairlight as possible places to live. I've looked up these places on line but it hasn't helped me get a real sense of either place.

I was hoping maybe someone here could help me out. Tell me about these places from a real persons perspective instead of real estate jargon etc If anyone knows where some good photos of these places can be seen that would be a help too. I saw short video clip of somewhere in Balgowlah on Youtube but it wasn't great.

Cheers :)

hi there,personally neither of those places are that nice and you cant tell by looking on line,mosman's my fravorite,lovely houses and nice shops and right near the city way out of our price range, we live in wheeler heights takes around 25-35 min to get into the city, collory and north narrabeen are nice to...:yes:

Hi, my family is planning to move to Sydney and I know my parents have been looking at Balgowlah and Fairlight as possible places to live. I've looked up these places on line but it hasn't helped me get a real sense of either place.

I was hoping maybe someone here could help me out. Tell me about these places from a real persons perspective instead of real estate jargon etc If anyone knows where some good photos of these places can be seen that would be a help too. I saw short video clip of somewhere in Balgowlah on Youtube but it wasn't great.

Cheers :)

Hi

We used to live in Fairlight, looking towards North/South Head. It was OK, just far enough from Manly (Which is a pain) and the Ferry (When it works).

I depends where you need to get to, we worked in CBD and it was great, but would hate to go by Bus/Car as the 'Spit' can be a real pain.

Back in the UK now, but moving back to Melbourne in April..

Good luck

Take Care

• 3 weeks later...

before buying anywhere in sydney you need to look around the place

as a general rule this will explain sydney well for you

sydney is built on a harbour it extends north south and west.

if you decided to move away from the coast be warned!!! you will find it very hot.

take randwick for example, it is a "city" on the top of a hill in sydney, to the east sits the ocean to the west a sprawling housing development. driving along from the west with the window open you might be bathed in sweat, as soon as you come to the crest of the hills in randwick the temperature drops noticeably.

living near the ocean gives much more stable summer and winter temperatures, living away from the ocean will see you enduring massive differences in seasonal temperatures and daytime/ nightime temperatures.

the further north you travel the hotter it gets, winter and summer are more or less the same beyond bowen. tasmania is generally cold. melbourne is for a better word - cattle grazing land, it has wild swings in temperatures during the day. everytime i've ever visited winter or summer it has been freezing cold and it has always rained. think carefully about living there.

as a general rule you should try to travel around the country and see where suits you. sydney is overpopulated and dirty, the roads are choked with traffic so if you liked london then sydney is for you.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Queenie

Hi Blumoo

My husband and I lived in Fairlight from 1999 to 2002 when we came back to the UK. We loved it!!We didn't have any kids then and it was perfect for us as it was out of the bustle of Manly but all accessible (5 mins walk down the hill). Ferry to work in the morning and a beer back on the ferry in the evening. Perfect!

It has a beautiful walkway along the harbour foreshore (search Manly to Spit Walkway) and lots of apratments have gorgeous harbour views over the Heads and the rest of the harbour - if you live SOuth of Sydney Road, the main road into Manly. Ther'e also a little High Street with corner shop, dry cleaning, chemist, doctor etc.

I can't rave about Fairlight enough. So much so our house over here is named after it! If we went back we probably wouldn't live there simply because it's mainly units and not houses and we've got 2 kids now. However, I would be very keen on Balgowlah Heights which has some great properties and good schools but v. pricey (min $1.2mill).

Hope this helps - Fairlight is great for a no worries lifestyle! And I will be back like a shot when the kids are older and we're looking to slow down a bit. (If I can persuade my other half!)

Good luck

Queenie

Balgowlah and Fairlight are both lovely suburbs, don't believe what you've been told they are just jealous that they are not living there. Mosman is great IF you can afford it.

Back to Balgowlah / fairlight. Depends what you are after, if you have kids, where you work, how you plan to commute, etc. These areas and others around Manly are lifestyle suburbs.pm me if you want.

prozac

Archived