Taxi/Private hire

UKtoOZ

I posted this on the jobs section but got no response, maybe it's better off in this section. Apologies if you have read it before;

Hi,

I'm trying to find out if the taxi system is the same as the UK.

Victorias website mentions a taxi test, which I assume is like the Knowledge test in any major town in the UK, it then mentions hire vehicles, but doesn't give very much info on the subject. I'm unsure if this heading is related to private hire cabs, or is it limo's etc?

Basically, I'm looking for something like a private hire job when I first come over, as I will need the flexibility of hours so I can fit round Pam's job and look after the kids when she's not around.

I cannot pass a Taxi test so soon after moving, but if private hire cabs exist then I'm sure satnav will keep me right in the early days.

Any info appreciated

There's no such thing as mini cabs in Victoria, basically it's either yellow cabs or silver top - but you'd be surprised at the lack of knowledge most taxi drivers have, you don't need anywhere near the same amount of knowledge that UK black cab drivers need! You could jump in and ask to go somewhere 5 mins down the road and they'd still probably get out the Melways and then proceed to get lost 3 times before getting you there!!

The cabbies I've used in Geelong have all had sat navs and we live on a really big street that pretty much everyone else knows in the town but not the cabbies apparently.

Thanks for the replies. It's comforting to know that you don't need to have grown up in the area, or study the place for a year before doing taxis.

I guess with the advent of satnav that the days of doing the knowledge may well be over to some extent? But it would get folk using the service more if they actually provide a good service.

Hopefully I wouldn't need to do the taxis, but at least it's a fall back for me if no other opportunities present themselves. I don't think I could be a man of leisure for very long!

I guess with the advent of satnav that the days of doing the knowledge may well be over to some extent? But it would get folk using the service more if they actually provide a good service.

See this - Victorian Taxi Association - as with our domestic airline industry, you are really starved for choice so therefore you have no choice other than to use the service, good or bad!! Public Transport is virtually non exsistent, especially after about 1am (there is one night bus in central Melbourne but has a very limited route) so there is no other option than to get a taxi! Even getting around during the day, because of the larger area, it's such a hassle getting trains / buses when taxi's are so cheap!!

:yes:

Archived