Taxi/Private hire

UKtoOZ

Hi,

I'm trying to find out if the taxi system is the same as the UK.

Victorias website mentions a taxi test, which I assume is like the Knowledge test in any major town in the UK, it then mentions hire vehicles, but doesn't give very much info on the subject. I'm unsure if this heading is related to private hire cabs, or is it limo's etc?

Basically, I'm looking for something like a private hire job when I first come over, as I will need the flexibility of hours so I can fit round Pam's job and look after the kids when she's not around.

I cannot pass a Taxi test so soon after moving, but if private hire cabs exist then I'm sure satnav will keep me right in the early days.

Any info appreciated

Guest John Sydney

OK - for NSW not victoria

First you got to be on a Full Licence for both HC and Taxi - no P Plate

Second you have to sit a exam on locations and road rules

Third Driving test

Medical

ABN Number - so you can pay the correct tax -

Once passed you get what's called Public transport Authority which allows you to drive a taxi or Bus or Hire Car depending on endorsement

There is no Mini cab type operations in Aust the taxis must be a licenced Taxi (Number plate NSW = Tplus number) not a standard registered car

Hire Cars can only be phone booked you cannot stop one on the street

Again Hire Cars have a different Number Plate NSW = HC plus number

If you google "Taxi School Melbourne" you should find a listing of schools and their Website will have the full requirements plus costs the last time I looked for NSW it was about $800 -$1000 for the school

For Sydney Taxi driving money is not great Sunday to Wednesday generally you make about $100 $140 per shift after the cost of the car and gas is taken out Thursday to Saturday are the big nights with luck you can make between 200 - 300 per shift Shift normally start at 3 am to 3 pm Nights 3pm - 3 am

I drove cabs for 3 months about 10 years ago and for the first couple of weeks until you learn the times and locations to be at to pick up fares you will not make much my worst night after paying for the cab and after 12 hours on the road I made a sum total of $2

Hope this helps

Thanks for that, the existence of phone booked ones are what I was trying to establish.

If it's the same test for Taxis as it is for HC, then there isn't much point in HC's at all?

I will get a look at Taxi schools later on to check their requirements. If I still have to sit a rigourous location test even for HC then I'll need to give it a miss I think.

Guest John Sydney

HC are normally driven by ex taxi drivers they are not mini cabs as you know them. More limo's for Film Stars and wealthy people As for locatation test it is not London all you need is about 20 main roads routes and 20 hotels and hospitals - which they give you before you do the tests all you have to do is memorise them

I had a quck look for Melbourne Taxis seems its a lot simplerand cheaper than Sydney

- must have a licence for 4 months quick location test and 90 minute drive in a cab and bobs your uncle your a cab driver in Melbourne check out Melbourne taxi school seems there is only 3 of them

Guest cheshire lass

it can't be too hard for Melb ones,as the few i have used all were foreigners with little English and NO idea of any major landmarks in Melb City. i thought at the time,pity the poor Tourists as i knew at least where i was going.

Archived