salary,advice

Guest SAINTHURLOCK

Guest SAINTHURLOCK

wondering if any one can help,have been offered a job paying $65k in sydney.

I currently earn £28k in london and live in st albans 2 bed terraced with gfriend and 1 year old.

i know what the currency converters say etc but would like to hear from the horses mouth wether this is a do able salary in sydney,am not after glamour,3 bed gaff with garden no more than 45mins commute from cbd.

Can it be done???

Guest BullcreekBob

G'day

Tax on $65K is about $15,825 leaving you with $946/week after tax. It's okay to get by on this level of income but it would be easier if your gfriend worked part time or got Family Tax benefit. What is your visa?

Expect to pay $400/week rent. Expect that for a "moderate" lifestyle, food, normal expenses, car costs etc to be between $350 and $450/week. Commuting to the CBD can be a pain because Sydney is a very big city. In fact it's bigger than London, less population but more spread out. A commute longer than 45 mins may be necessary, or higher rental costs.

Buying a house on a salary of $65K will be very difficult even with a large deposit.

Cheers

Bob in Bull Creek

Guest SAINTHURLOCK

thanks for that bob, looks like we wont be getting any big monetry changes if we go but to be fair as long as we are getting by ill be happy,the big payoff will come in the shape of having sydney as a playground.not sure what visa they are thinking of getting me in on but have been told it will be a 4 year contract.

The misus will be going to work thats for sure,dont suppose you know anything about child care costs etc??

Guest BullcreekBob

G'day

A four year contract? sounds like a 457 visa. Under the terms of this visa, I don't think you'll be getting family tax benefi, not any other government assistance. You might also be required to take out health insurance which can be costly.

Still if your gfriend is working, you'll be in a position to enjoy life.

Cheers

Bob in Bull Creek

Archived