The Beginning

Guest adam31

Hi Everyone,

I'm Adam along with my wife Maif and baby due in August not to forget our dog Ruby, are looking at the possibility of moving out to Aus (if they will have us). Maif is a recruitment consultant 37 years old, I (33 years old) served my time as a sheet metal worker, 2 years ago i moved into the management side of things, but i am now going for a complete career change into IT. It will be about 6 months before i am in my first IT role(fingers crossed). I was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on our chances of being able to emigrate if so do you know the best way for us to start.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Adam

North Manchester

Guest WARDStoOZ

Hi and welcome to PomsinOz!

Hopefully some more people will be along soon to advise you on your particular situation!

Lots of Luck with all of your plans...!!!

Dan :-)

Guest juliemtaylor

Hi welcome to PIO, have a word with Gill, Gollywobbler on here as she may have some ideas for you re visa.

Julie

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi Everyone,

I'm Adam along with my wife Maif and baby due in August not to forget our dog Ruby, are looking at the possibility of moving out to Aus (if they will have us). Maif is a recruitment consultant 37 years old, I (33 years old) served my time as a sheet metal worker, 2 years ago i moved into the management side of things, but i am now going for a complete career change into IT. It will be about 6 months before i am in my first IT role(fingers crossed). I was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on our chances of being able to emigrate if so do you know the best way for us to start.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Adam

North Manchester

Hi Adam

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

Do you have formal qualifications, an apprenticeship etc behind you as a Sheet Metal Worker? Because if so, that is the skill which would get you to Oz. How long ago did you move into management, please?

Sheetmetal Worker (First Class) 4124-11 - Australian Skills Recognition Information

The name of the game at the moment is the State Sponsored 176 visa. Each State produces its own list of occupations in demand and it will sponsor people with skills on its list for a visa as long as all else is equal.

At the moment the States which are after you are:

Northern Territory

Victoria

Queensland

Western Australia

Australian Capital Territory

Tasmania

South Australia

Everywhere except NSW, in other words, and that is only because NSW does not sponsor trades skills applicants, no doubt. However the occupation is not on the new Critical Skills List:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/critical-skills-list.pdf

This makes it essential to pick a State and persuade it to sponsor you if you wish to be able to move to Oz any time soon, my friend.

Have a look at the various State Websites and see which State appeals to you most, I suggest:

State & Territory Migration Sites - australia.gov.au

Also the DIAC website:

Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) visa (subclass 176)

Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) visa (subclass 176)

Australian General Skilled Migration Booklet

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Adam,

I came here through my 457 visa, currently in WA. I work as an IT consultant. In order to apply for the visa, I think you need to have at lease 3 years work experience in the same field.

Hope it help.

HI,

Thanks or the reply well it looks like im stuck between the devil and the deep blue sea, stick with a career i want out of and move to Aus or a new career but stuck in England. Well theirs something to think about.

Thanks again for the reply

Adam

Archived