Convictions

floyd

Hi all

I has been a dream of mine to one day stay in Oz and even more so now that I have a family however I have a major sticking point, a conviction for embezzlement.

I was convicted back in 2006 and although the charge sounds serious it was a one time occurrence and not a vast sum of one which was paid back in full to my employer which resulted in a Community Service order against me.

At the moment I am studying my ACCA professional exams in accountancy which will be completed in a few years by which time my conviction will be spent in the UK. I declared everything to the ACCA and my new employer and they were happy to allow me to continue on my chosen career path.

I would like to ask the advice of the forum as to;

A) Whether I would be allowed into Australia to work and live with my conviction?

and if so

B) I have been searching the net to find out how long it would take my conviction become spent for visa purposes and I've read in a couple of places that it may be ten years from the date of conviction, please can someone confirm when I'd be able to apply for a visa?

Any advice would be greatly received as it is going to effect our short term as well as long term plans if we are able to live in Oz.

Thanks

Guest Gollywobbler

Hello Floyd

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

Your conviction would not prevent you from being permitted to migrate to Oz:

Australian Immigration Fact Sheet 79. The Character Requirement

Whether or not the conviction is technically "spent" in the UK, it would come up on the type of police check required for migration to Oz.

Therefore you would need to get a police check prior to submitting your visa application and submit it with the visa application, together with a covering letter in which you are seen to grovel and show great remorse.

Best wishes

Gill

Hi all

I has been a dream of mine to one day stay in Oz and even more so now that I have a family however I have a major sticking point, a conviction for embezzlement.

I was convicted back in 2006 and although the charge sounds serious it was a one time occurrence and not a vast sum of one which was paid back in full to my employer which resulted in a Community Service order against me.

At the moment I am studying my ACCA professional exams in accountancy which will be completed in a few years by which time my conviction will be spent in the UK. I declared everything to the ACCA and my new employer and they were happy to allow me to continue on my chosen career path.

I would like to ask the advice of the forum as to;

A) Whether I would be allowed into Australia to work and live with my conviction?

and if so

B) I have been searching the net to find out how long it would take my conviction become spent for visa purposes and I've read in a couple of places that it may be ten years from the date of conviction, please can someone confirm when I'd be able to apply for a visa?

Any advice would be greatly received as it is going to effect our short term as well as long term plans if we are able to live in Oz.

Thanks

For Australian visa purposes a conviction is NEVER spent.

From what you have posted, I expect that you would probably be ok.

All the best

Westly Russell

Registered Migration Agent

Number 0316072

Home Page

Archived