Emerald

Guest TRACEY & PETER

Guest TRACEY & PETER

Does anyone know Emerald area, we are looking at it as a mabe, but are finding it hard to get a feel for the area over the intenet,

How rarul is it

the school is big (primary) so we think the area must be quite residentail

We want an area where the houses are quite far apart with land but still want the kids to be able to knock for their friends,

I want to walk to school and shops

Is this area right for the above.

Cheers all

Any info great

Does anyone know Emerald area, we are looking at it as a mabe, but are finding it hard to get a feel for the area over the intenet,

How rarul is it

We want an area where the houses are quite far apart with land but still want the kids to be able to knock for their friends,

Cheers all

Any info great

G'day mate. Emerald is about 270 km inland (west) from Rockhampton, Central Qld.

It is essentially rural, vast areas of orange/mandarin (tangerine) groves and cotton growing. The town is the focal point for an area stretching from Clermont in the north, to Springsure in the south, a distance of about 200 km. The town's population is about 17,000

Emerald, Queensland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The vast Anakie sapphire deposits are about 45 km west...Anyone can fossick for the gems once a miner's right is obtained.

Lake Maraboon is roughly 25 km south, fishing/boating

Good schools and infrastructure, supermarkets etc.

It does get localised flooding every so often...

Welcome to the Emerald Shire Council

Cheers, Bobj.

How rarul is it

Cheers all

Any info great

Do you mean Emerald QLD or VIC.

We live down the road from Emerald Vic, and it is fairly rural, very green due to higher than average rainfall for Australian standards, and cooler than average temeperatures for Melbourne due to being in the Dandenong ranges.

Its a beautiful tidy village, with some nice shops. Properties are affordable, but it is fairly spread out, and walking to school or friends is not always an option.

If it is Emerald Vic you are looking at, I would be more than happy to give you more info, but have to get off to work now :mad:

Paul

Use google world and take a look at the area. Emerald is nice and as has been said cooler than down on the plain. There are other nice suburbs around Emerald too if you like the forest and trees and I am talking tall tall trees very tall mountain ash. Its touristy and very popular with the arty people the whole of the area of the Dandenong Ranges is lovely.

Realestate.com.au will give you an idea of what the properties are like in Emerald.

Guest ashmalog

I visited emerald when in melbourne in may last year. friend was looking at moving there. quite rural but lovely and quaint, shops, garage etc. a fair drive to nearest supermarket. too rural for me.

Guest spottymercedes

I guess it depends on exactly what you are looking for. I personally love Emerald (VIC) and we spent a lot of time looking at houses for sale there. We have decided to wait a while before buying so have not dismissed it yet. It is very pretty and I imagine can get quite flooded with tourists at times. It does have some nice little shops and has the tourist railway with the puffing billy running through it. I don't know anything about schools in the area, but some streets are close enough to walk to the neighbours and shops and others aren't. It wouldn't be too rural for me, but it is hard to define someone elses definition of what is too rural.

Another consideration for the summer months is you need to be prepared for bush fire. Keeping property clear and well maintained preferably finding a property that has sprinklers on the roof etc. Its a very wooded area. If you do not like the idea of that then I would consider a more populated area.

There have not been any major fires in the area for years but that does not mean there will not be.

How rarul is it

Cheers all

Any info great

Where are you planning on working ?

If you are looking at areas with space, but not too rural in the Dandenongs, but still close enough for the kids to play with friends etc, you could also look at Mount Evelyn (close to Montrose & Lilydale) Belgrave (a bit hippy, but very nice) Monbulk (not as remote as Emerald, and a much lower fire risk due to position, but a ittle more expensive than Emerald) Pakenham Upper (closer to the Princes fwy etc, but still bigger plots and affordable) In short, plenty of villages/small towns locally that might fit the bill.

One thing is for sure, as soon as kids go to high school, and you live in the hills, they tend to have mates in the next village, or even further, and you do end up being a taxi most of the time. The same with clubs. For us here in Monbulk, the footy pitch is walking distance and so is the basketball, but the scouts & cubs is a car trip, as is the cinema in Belgrave, shopping centre in Knox for the video games (30 minutes) etc etc. Only last weekend my eldest had a birthday party just the other side of Emerald (25 minutes drive) and they went past our place to Knox to play Laser skirmish and then had to collect him again at 7.30pm . Personally we have no problems at all with it, and accept the fact that having a decent plot (we have only half an acre) does also carry a few negatives, but not enough to worry about.

I would love to say, come and stay at our rental in Monbulk when you first arrive so you can get a feel for the area and look at schools & houses etc, but unfortunately its too small for a family of 5 :sad:

A quick note on Emerald High. It does have a pretty good reputation, but if you are looking for very good high schools with excellent reputations many of the local boys end up going to St Josephs in Ferntree gully (all boys catholic private school) or mount Lilydale (mixed) Both are about 45 mins on the school bus, but that is quite normal in the hills, and girls go to either Mather Christie (all girls private catholic shool) in Belgrave or mount Lilydale.

Hope that gives you a bit more to play with.

Paul.

Archived