Jobs in Cairns ....

Guest dannys188

Guest dannys188

Hi all me my wife and our newborn daughter are finally planning to move to Oz in the next couple of months to cairns area and was wandering what the work situation is like? are things slowing down and people getting laid off like here in the UK. Im a self employed painter and decorator and thought about trying to contact companys or agencies, before I go any ideas, information or advise would be great thanks :wink:

Guest sparkyinoz

HI there,,,

I live in cairns, am a sparky / fridgee , there are still jobs coming out of the gnd but there has been a bit of a slow up with xmas n all, look on the net at cairns post classifieds for job section on saturdays....

best of luck dont be pissed off when u get here we are just comin into the wet season.......

Guest dannys188

Hi sparkyinoz thanks for that ya i surpose things always slow at christmas everywere. were abouts in cairns are you we are moving to redlynch area we have friends there. :biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest YorksfamilyRobinson

Hi, we just moved to Cairns in November and have found careerone website useful. it lists all the cairns post jobs and more. And another word of advice, people don't call back whjen they say they will here...or they take their time!! Call them back yourself or you will wait forever!! The agencies are great though. Good luck with the move.

Guest The Greens

Hope all is well up there. It's been a tough time for everyone up up in Cairns recently. Has the Dengue fever epidemic caused you any problems. Horrible thing that, we visited recently to Port Douglas but it rained for 3 days when we were there. Hubby always get munched by the Mossies but luckily we were OK this time.

Hope your all Ok there.

EMMY:unsure:

Guest YorksfamilyRobinson
Hope all is well up there. It's been a tough time for everyone up up in Cairns recently. Has the Dengue fever epidemic caused you any problems. Horrible thing that, we visited recently to Port Douglas but it rained for 3 days when we were there. Hubby always get munched by the Mossies but luckily we were OK this time.

Hope your all Ok there.

EMMY:unsure:

Hi Emmy,

I've only really read about Dengue in the papers. I think it is exaggerated a bit. They are sending pest sprayers into people's gardens in some suburbs but it doesnt seem to be that big a deal in reality (obviously not the opinion of the 100 or so people who got it) We have been bitten a bit, hubby more that me and the kids (bad meat I say) even though we are being careful. The wet weather seems to bring them out in droves.

But still beautiful up here and its not put me off.

Leoni

Guest brooksey

I don't know about Cairns but here on the Gold Coast i can't find a job as a carpenter but there must be 30 painters jobs a week come up so you shouldn't have any problems. Good luck with the humidity up there

• 2 weeks later...
Guest northernxtaipan

Hi Leoni

I am new to this website and live in redlynch we have been here since christmas, glad to see other cairns people around.

hey,

I moved from the UK to Cairns 4 months ago and Ive been trying to find Graphic Design work. Ive not found anything, but mainly because Im a new graduate and people are looking for workers with experience behind them. Business in Cairns seems pretty slow, (especially yeah christmas wasnt good) and it will probably be more difficult than if u went to one of the bigger cities, but it isn't bad. Cairns is a great place to live and as soon as your business kicks off, it will be great and I dont think you will have any problems.

• 5 years later...

Hi Dannys 188

Just wondering if you made the move to Cairns?

If so, how did it go? We are looking to start the visa process soon, as OH is a painter and decorator and was wondering what the job prospects are like.

Lorraine

Archived