Cairns - has any one been/going there

Guest liddylou

Guest liddylou

We are moving to Cairns in April and I can never find anyone who has gone or is planning to go there, I would really love to get in touch with someone...hoping that one of the long standing members might be able to help me on this one

hi I tried to send you this message earlier, but you obviously didnt get.

We have just returned from cairns in January, it is a nice place, very very hot though.

Spoke to one person who lived there and they said, if you stick 1 summer there you will be ok. The winter there is about 25 degrees with no humidity, but in the summer the humidity goes up to 100%. Even very uncomfortable at night. It can be very hard to work in.

There is a lovely lagoon the public can swim in, as you cant swim in the cairns beach because of the crocs, and stingers.

We also stayed in Port Douglas, its a lovely place, its a bit quieter at night.

You will be able to visit the reef, a lovely place to live near, esp. if you have young children, they will love it.

Airlie Beach and the Whitsundays is a must do, you could take a short hol, to visit these places.

I would like to live there, although, working outside would be tough, but maybe the wages would make up for it.

I will send you my email address for you to send me those ref for tra.

hope you get this message this time

We are moving to Cairns in April and I can never find anyone who has gone or is planning to go there, I would really love to get in touch with someone...hoping that one of the long standing members might be able to help me on this one

Hello there,

my partner and I arrived in Cairns about 4 weeks ago now. It was a kind of last minute decision to live here as we were originally heading to Victoria - but as some visa status changes occurred at the end we had a choice to go anywhere, so picked Cairns for the beautiful surroundings more than anything. However, all my research had been about Victoria and I had only briefly visted here many years ago so its all been a bit of a steep learning curve! However, so far so good. It really is a gorgeous place - the rainforest scenery is stunning and the wildlife amazing.

Still not sure about Cairns as a city - there is a huge tourist industry here and therefore quite a transient population, but away from the Esplanade you don't really see much of that backpackers activity. I was quite surpised just how far the city and suburbs extend and there are plenty of different areas to choose to live. I am job hunting at the moment, but confess I've only just started as I've been treating the first few weeks as a holiday. The recruitment agencies seem to think I'll have no problem getting something, I just don't know if I'll find anything I want to do - the chocies are obviously more limited than the big cities.

The weather is something else! It is very hot and humid and, being the wet, it rains - hard!, but it doesn't seem to stop anybody doing anything, and places seem to have air con as fairly standard - we are having no problems sleeping and don't feel particularly uncomfortable. There hasn't been a day so far when the sun hasn't come out, so if this is as bad as it gets it's certainly liveable.

Everybody we've met so far has been friendly and welcoming, so, apart from missing friends and family from the UK, it's been a good few weeks.

Arriving in April you should get even better weather, so I say come and enjoy it!

Good luck

Mikeyp

Archived