Importing Bentley

mullsey

Hello

I am moving to Oz early next year and as an investment I am considering importing a car to sell when I arrive.

A Bentley Continental GT on a 05 UK plate from the research I have carried out on Australian sites sell for anything between 180000 and 220000 dollars. In the UK due to the current economic climate are selling for about 90000 dollars.

Has anyone any experience of doing a similar thing.

Thanks in advance

Guest gibbboe

p

Hello

I am moving to Oz early next year and as an investment I am considering importing a car to sell when I arrive.

A Bentley Continental GT on a 05 UK plate from the research I have carried out on Australian sites sell for anything between 180000 and 220000 dollars. In the UK due to the current economic climate are selling for about 90000 dollars.

Thanks in advance

Hiya,

I am not right person to answer this one, sure someone will pick this up! However, in recent months there has been a thread about importing cars into Australia. I think it was mentioned that you have to pay an inport duty that is quite substantial to take a car into the country. This important duty is based on the value of the car in AUSTRALIA and not the UK value of the car. Of course as you've mentioned, cars are more expensive over there. Anyway the thread was very detailed about all the associated costs.

:yesxmas:

one thing to note is that you will have to have owned and used the car for 12 months prior importing it into Australia, have been looking at taking my car out there and only had it 4 months so am stuffed.

Guest slipshot
Hello

Thanks in advance

plus you need to add shipping, luxury car tax (now 33%), and everything else that goes with it. SO that's another load on top - and then you have to sell a car that people will see has been bought and registered in the UK and thus will be classed as a grey import. And, if people had that much money, would they risk buying a grey import that will be worth less than an Aus spec one.

It may be identical - but would anyone take the risk.

Big gamble as if you cannot sell it you have a large dept around your neck...

And given the fact you have to won it for 12 months prior, it is not going to happen unless you buy now and delay your trip for a year...

Guest John Sydney

Nice Idea -

look at this website importing a motor vehicle

It has detailed instructions on importing a car into Australia

Note also it states "if you want to drive on the roads the car must pass xxxxx"

A plate can be issused whhich is attached to the car stating it meets the design rules

Someplace on this website was a thread with a spreadsheet from somebody who imported a car into Australia and totaled all the costs

I think you will find that it wasn't worth it

Something else you have to keep in mind is that for a car like that the market is very small

Archived