Gold Coast or Cairns/Port Douglas???

Guest Pippin

Hi, just wondered if anyone has experienced living/working in both the Gold Coast & Cairns/Port Douglas areas? I realise the two are fairly diverse! :smile:

I am currently living on the Gold Coast but have just returned from yet another trip to Cairns/Port Douglas ( I have visited many times over the years)..... is Cairns/P.D. really just somewhere that should be left as a holiday destination? Just curious for anyones experiences

Thanks

Pippin :biggrinxmas:

Guest slipshot

We have a house just north of PD and given we move to Melbourne in January of this year from the UK, did comtemplate the idea of moving up there. However, for me it's too much of a holiday destination and I want the kids to be bought up in a nice busy environment - and I don't think PD can offer anything like the value of a city like Melbourne. Thus we'll keep it as a holiday home and carry on renting it out for the moment...

Hi Slipshot, thanks for the reply. I completely agree that if I had children then I would definately want a busier environment... but as I dont right now I wondered if it would be worth the experience or would I just ruin what was once my favourite holiday destination!! :o) .. just a thought!

Thanks... Pippin

Guest slipshot
Hi Slipshot, thanks for the reply. I completely agree that if I had children then I would definately want a busier environment... but as I dont right now I wondered if it would be worth the experience or would I just ruin what was once my favourite holiday destination!! :o) .. just a thought!

Thanks... Pippin

My missus dad lives there and works there with his own businesses - and he loves the lifestyle but he was fairly laid back when he moved from Melbourne. Now he's almost falling over - not that he does not work hard since he does, but it is a fairly laid back lifestyle for everyone which means he (like us) when you need to get stuff done in the area takes time, people are casual about everything.

I think living there would be great but as with every holiday destination - living there means you need to work and thus I know the area has suffered from falling tourist trade - a lot in the last few years, from what my FIL says, so it may be harder to get a job...

Archived