new baby

Guest evertonrule

Guest evertonrule

hi, i am english and my girlfriend is norwegian, i have 5 months left on my working/holiday visa (march 2006 exp) and my girlfriend studies so her visa expires next july 2006 the baby is due may 2005 so i need to get a working visa extension for an extra 3 months, does anyone know if i can do this?

need help iam unsure who to speak to

Thanks

kevin

Guest bob and ginnie

Young British citizens can avail themselves of an extra year's extension to the Working Visa by working for at least three months on agricultural work, such as fruit picking, grapevine pruning, cattle station work, etc.

Since 20th Aug 1986, a baby born in Australia doesn't have automatic right to Australian citizenship unless one of the parents is an Australian citizen or has permanent residency. . . . then you would be entitled to the baby bonus grant of $3,000!

You can apply to the Immigration Dep't for permanent residency, but have to go thro' the process. Perhaps an employer can sponsor you if they can't get Australians for the job that you're doing??? Your skills would have to be on the short list.

Guest evertonrule

Thankyou for yor advice it was very helpful, you were the only person to reply but its gives me the information i need to seek further help with this. Hopefully i will get the 3 month extension to see my baby born in oz rather than being kicked back to england

Guest bob and ginnie

Going into a public hospital will see you right with the baby's birth, if there are any dramas.

Your baby won't be an Australian citizen and you'll have to register his/her birth with the British High Commission or Norwegian Embassy to obtain a citizenship in order to get a passport to go back home again. You can't just take a baby out of the country.

As a British citizen, you're covered for any hospital expenses under a reciprocal agreemtent that Australia has with the U.K.'s National Health Scheme. You will be looked after under Australia's Medicare scheme which will pay your costs.

Unfortunately, you are not the one having the baby.

Your missus will have to see if Norway a two-way reciprocal agreement with Australia to be covered under the Medicare scheme . . . . . or she will the one paying thousands of dollars for the privilege.

Australia's immigration will not allow her to leave Australia without payment being made first. If she doesn't have the funds, then the Norwegian embassy will have to cough up and the Norwegian gov't will undoubtedly hit her for the bill when she gets back to Norway.

• 11 months later...
Guest spray21

Re the baby bonus - do I understand rightly that the parents only have to be permanent residents to qualify, but do not have to be citizens?

What if one was a citizen and the other was a PR? Would you automatically qualify for the bonus, no matter how long (or short) you had been in the country/had held those visas?

Archived