Award salary ??

Guest noyes

Hello everyone , ive only used this site a couple of times , but whoever started it needs a pat on the back , it's so useful !!

Im off to sydney on thursday to start work as a chef on a skilled migration visa !!

Not sure how to feel to be fair , am 25 years old and am glad im doing it young.Its not like i havent thought it through and im doing it for the right reasons , but has only hit me today how a bigger move it is !

Very shaky today to say the least , is all becoming very real !

How did some of you guys feel when you went out , and how hard did you find it leaving friends & family behind etc etc ?

And sorry one last thing , when it states ' award salary' on a job description what does that mean ? Is it nitrally like being rewarded for your performance, and being paid in accordance with that ?

Any help much appreciated guys .. cheers

Noyes..

Hiya i cant help regarding the salary but in relation to leaving your friends and family it was one of the hardest things ive ever done ,i switched my mobile off on the way to the airprot as all the texts were upsetting but as soon as we were up in the sky its a case of ,heres to a new life ,,i now chat on msn with a webcam and its really good,txtin dosnt seem too expensive either,it will be hard but theres loads of ways to stay in touch ,,good luck

Cal x

The award is a 'state-industry sector' agreement setting the minimum pay & working conditions for an industry sector. In my particular sector (engineering) for example most people are paid slightly above award. Your work conditions & pay should never be below the award having said that almost all employers would like to ignore it & I've come across a few instances where the award is ignored unless in employers favour.

You will find the award conditions under each state employment web site.

The award is being phased out for AWA (Australian Workplace Agreements).

Its probably going to be a very one sided agreement with your employer unless you're very highly skilled or your skills are rare as 'hens teeth'. Many people at clerical & professional levels already have contracts which are basically AWA but few realise I think, that the award is the foundation to which their pay & conditions are set.

What this means for the future is that Australian work conditions & practices will probably become totally unregulated - you'll get paid what you are able to negotiate for yourself.

Archived