Moving to Melbourne

Guest morleydog

Guest morleydog

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and would be grateful if I could call on your expertise for some advice.

I have the opportunity to move with my firm to Melb in early 09 and will be based in the CBD. Salary wise I think the deal is pretty good at AU$120k - How does this level of salary sound for two of us to live on. I know everyone has a different view on what is 'liveable' so FYI we are a married couple, early 30's, no kids who like eating out regularly, pubs, weekends away etc. We will be looking at spending up to $500 p/w on a house, have no debts and I will benefit in addition from the living away from home allowance.

Also, with the above in mind any suburb advice ? We've looked at places such as Flemington, Kensington as well as a little further out in places such as Williamstown.

Thanks in advance !

Guest Terence

Hi, That salary is very very good for just two people to live on, I know families of 4 and 5 in Melbourne on half that salary and they mangage just fine.

Salary will be fine. If you want an apartment there are a lot in the CBD itself, I have a friend who lives in the CBD and has done for 8 years they love it. There is a gym, cleaners if required and an international hotel on the lower floors which they use as well. Car parking.

St Kilda Road, South Melbourne, East Melbourne, South Yarra, Richmond, Kew, Docklands, Port Melbourne.

Have a look at reaestate.com.au for these areas should give you some idea.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi, the salary will be fine, although it depends what kind of lifestyle you are currently use to? Suburb wise if you want to live close to the city you may have to pay out a little more than $500 per week. Have a look at the house thats currently up for rent in Beaumaris, thats a lovely area and not far from the CBD. Also South Yarra and Toorak are other options.

Guest WARDStoOZ

Hi there...!

I just wanted to welcome you to PomsinOz and wish you lots of luck!!!

That salary sounds great!

Regards,

Dan

Guest Wallace

Good luck with your move to Melbourne. We hope its all that you have dreamed of and more... Melbourne has alot to offer... CBD can be pretty competetive for rental properties so my only advice would be to plan well ahead when it comes to viewing properties, as the rental system is rather different to that in the UK. If there is anything else we can help with PM us. Best of luck :)

Archived