Renting in NSW refs?

Guest Ruby98

Hi Guys

Just a quickie as they say!!! I have read here that you need to take references with you for the application to rent a house.....When we arrive we would not have had a bank history so do we need to take the old ones?

What other refs so we need?

I dont want to be turned down for not having the right stuff so woul really appreciate some advice.

Thanks

Ruby :notworthy:

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Ruby

If you stay in short term furnished accommodation on your arrival ask them for a reference we provide one to all our clients. Also try and bring with you a reference from your old employer and maybe a character reference from a friend. Some agents don't really care as long as you can show them a bank statement with lots of money sat there.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Ruby

I am not sure for NSW but in Melbourne it's taking around 4-5 weeks to secure a decent rental at the moment, the more you can provide in your application the better, maybe put in a covering letter explaining that you have recently moved from the UK and what your plans are etc, also show them a copy of your visa etc.

Good luck.

Kate

We got the 1st rental we applied for in Newcastle. Some of the property's we saw previously though, were absolute ****e. If you move to the commuter belt (Sydney-Gosford) there is more competition.

Its very easy to get a bank account here though.

You will need 2 x professional references

and 100 point ID. Drivers license/passport/birth cert/bank statement or previous rental agreements.

If you need any help, let me know when you arrive and I will try to help you out.

Guest The Pom Queen

Its very easy to get a bank account here though.

You will need 2 x professional references

and 100 point ID. Drivers license/passport/birth cert/bank statement or previous rental agreements.

quote]

If you are a new migrant and open an account within the first few weeks you will not need to pass the 100 point check.:wubclub:

Thank you so much guys. Am arriving on November 28th and I'm sure I'll still have questions but we are getting our refs together now after all this advice so thanks for saving us time.

Unfortunately we are going to be living in Sydney or outer subs so lots of competition but no choice as my job is there so we'll see.

• 3 weeks later...

Not long now!!! Just to let you know that there has been, what the media has termed, a 'housing crisis' with a shortage of rental properties. They have viewing times (open houses) for rental properties advertised in Sydney Morning Herald - Saturday is main advertising day I think - and I have been told that in the more popular areas of Sydney, i.e. the Eastern Suburbs (Bondi, Coogee, Maroubra, etc) there has been quite a long queue of potential renters. You would have to put in an application with all supporting docs and hope that the landlord selects your application above the rest. It's pretty much like that in the suburbs where I live too. The government has been trying to solve problem and recently increased the first home buyers grant to $14,000 for existing homes and $21,000 for new homes (and there's talk that they might increase the amount too!) Some of the suburbs are really nice though (and some not so - like where I bought - although Council is doing vast improvements to area!) I would suggest you try Sutherlandshire - there may be more rentals there and there's good shopping, commuting and great beaches and near Royal National Park. It's slightly cheaper that Inner City/Eastern and Northern suburbs but more expense than the South West (Campbelltown area) where I live. But commuting may get you down - trains very crowded and journey of around 1 hour if you have to go into the City.

I think it would be a good idea to go into a house share if you're single - or furnished short-term accommodation would be the only answer if you have a family, unless you've got friends who can put you up in first instance.

Cheers.

Archived