I need work

Stuju

Hi, I am living on the Central Coast,NSW and having terrible trouble getting a job. I have Australianised my resume and i have lost count ofthe number of jobs i have applied for. Most seem to be via the internet, (i never had hassles getting a job in the UK) but this is really starting to get me down and i was hopeing that someone could give me some sound advice. I am a honest hard working friendly person who at the mo would give their right arm for a job, im just so lonely and bored (plus i need the money) thanks

I lived in Hornsby for four years & worked with a bunch of Central Coast guys. This is what I picked up from them. Many jobs there are acquired through local networking. Wages are significantly lower than Sydney because of competition to get them. Given this you would probably be better off getting a job in Sydney & commuting as probably know already lots of people do. Later on you may well break into the network.

This is what I don't understand about Australian ways, they claim to be desperate for skilled workers yet seem to make it incredibly difficult to "break their old boy network" of getting a job. If I were an employer "desperate" for skilled workers I'd widely publicise it not just ask cousin Bob if he knew of anyone... :x

... I seem to of got out of bed the wrong side this morn... :oops:

NJ where do you think the "old boy network" term originated from - don't blame the Aussies for that mate. :lol:

A little more seriously (just a little) - the skills shortage isn't just about qualifications I think? - it's also about experience & knowledge local & national. Make no bones about it I would employ other poms (of course) but their local knowledge or lack of it has to be taken into account. Think about it? a twenty year old has at least a ten year start on a new migrant. Imagine asking a young trainee in a interview "what are the legal documents required to own & drive a car". If that young person had no idea you'd probably end the interview there & then. How many migrants know this info when they arrive (I know I didn't). Then project that lack of experience into the workplace. Imagine trying to get a job as a supervisor without having the foggiest what "the award" is all about let alone its replacement the AWA.

It takes time to establish - don't worry about it but be prepared to do the hard yards for a while first.

Hi nj, i can see what you are saying and appreciate your coment.

Hey fatpom, thanks for your comments, i have done office work back in the uk but mainly management in retail - from morrisons to total uk.

I understand and had taken into consideration that i woudnt e able to jump staright to the top of the ladder and am prepared to start at the bottom again. Needless to say that is proving hard too !!!

NJ where do you think the "old boy network" term originated from - don't blame the Aussies for that mate. :lol:

A little more seriously (just a little) - the skills shortage isn't just about qualifications I think? - it's also about experience & knowledge local & national. Make no bones about it I would employ other poms (of course) but their local knowledge or lack of it has to be taken into account. Think about it? a twenty year old has at least a ten year start on a new migrant. Imagine asking a young trainee in a interview "what are the legal documents required to own & drive a car". If that young person had no idea you'd probably end the interview there & then. How many migrants know this info when they arrive (I know I didn't). Then project that lack of experience into the workplace. Imagine trying to get a job as a supervisor without having the foggiest what "the award" is all about let alone its replacement the AWA.

It takes time to establish - don't worry about it but be prepared to do the hard yards for a while first.

Don't want to sound like I'm gloating but I DID get a job that involved intimate knowledge of Melbourne, it's transport systems and tourist information just one month after arriving. Just two months down the line, last Thursday, I got hauled up to the Top Man to be told I was being promoted, BIG TIME.. so, it CAN be done. I had my own business in the U.K. and never, EVER imagined myself working for a large, international company but, right now, I can't imagine being self-emloyed again. What I would suggest to all those job hunting right now is to have hope and know that opportunities do exist and can be life-changing, for the better. Arm yourselves with an extra layer of skin, a super-sized sense of humour and a VERY open mind. Think 'outside the box' (hate the saying, sorry!) and be receptive to all manner of possibilities. :)

Good on yer Krista. My OH also did very well too & pretty quickly. Perhaps the importance of local knowledge & experience diminishes with the size of business as she works in multinationals also? Or perhap a bit of luck helps?

By the way I'm certainly not suggesting anyone has to start again back at the bottom just a need to be a bit realistic about expectations.

Archived