How much $ do you need??!!

Guest sunset

Hi there!

Just wondering if anyone can offer some advice on the minimum amount of money required for migrating to Oz? Obviously, the more you have the better - I get that! But my my other half and I are about to apply for our visas and are looking to save as much money as we can over the next couple of years. We don't have much to begin with and we won't be taking much with us (no house to sell - just sell furniture and go!) so can anyone give us an idea of the minimum amount of $ it will take to get us started please - not including the visa process at this end and flights, etc? I'm thinking along the lines of rent deposits, any upfront payments we may have to make and a bit to get by on before we have to stop being tourists and work for our keep (which we plan on doing quickly!)

Thanks in advance and glad to have found you guys!

Lesley x

Hi

We didn't come with much, perhaps about $65,000, and we just came over without jobs etc. It was quite tight, and the money, or lack of it, affected the decisions we made on where to live etc., which is not always a good thing. It takes time to get a job and cars are much more expensive over here to buy. In saying that however, the standard of living is generally much cheaper than the UK, so it's swings and roundabouts!!

Good luck!

Caroline

Hi

Forgot to mention that you can apply for a first time buyers grant, we got $7,000 to put towards our first house purchase. Also, try to claim your tax back from the inland rev before you leave, we didn't as we didn't know it was possible, but as a person permanently leaving the Uk, you are entitled to your tax back!!!

Caroline

Hiya regarding how much to bring ,,well its an open pot ,i can only advise you to scrimp and save as much as you can ,the more you bring the less stressful it will be for you until you find your feet.Centrelink will help you out with rent assis etc and as caroline said you can get the first time buyer grant BUT only if your a permant resident . hope this helps

Cal x

Thanks for all your pointers guys. We weren't aware of claiming our tax back - that wouldn't have even crossed our minds! And I had heard of Centrelink but wasn't really sure what they could do for us as new migrants. Thanks so much for your help.

We have been a few times before and just came back from the last trip over Xmas and NY (it was fantastic and sealed our fate!) We stayed with friends so we picked up on the cost of utilities, food and the expensive cars but I guess you never know what you are up against cash-wise until you make the move and realise that you can't afford to be on holiday forever and have to get jobs and settle-in. However, when we weren't with friends, we travelled and stayed in motels and hotels and were really impressed with the standard of accommodation you could stay in for such little money, even around Xmas. The majority of places cost approx £35 for a double-ensuite and one night we 'treated' ourselves to a boutique hotel with a spa bath, sea view, all the trimmings and it cost £57 for both of us. That shocked us as the last time we were there we stayed in backpackers. Anyway, enough of my rambling, I'm off to fill in some more forms....................many thanks

Sunset xxxx

Guest pleasant jo
Hi

Forgot to mention that you can apply for a first time buyers grant, we got $7,000 to put towards our first house purchase. Also, try to claim your tax back from the inland rev before you leave, we didn't as we didn't know it was possible, but as a person permanently leaving the Uk, you are entitled to your tax back!!!

Caroline

Hi caroline, just been reading your bit on claimimg tax back when permanently leaving uk. What tax are we talking about here. Income ,capital gain any info would be good. And i will mention this to my accountant.Sounds good.

Archived