Pre-Primary education - help please!

Guest CarolineandGrant

Guest CarolineandGrant

Hi there,

I was just wondering if anyone can give me some clarification on the kindy to pre-primary system.

We have 2 kids, our eldest will be 4 by the time we get to Perth and although i have been doing some research, I found it all a bit confusing. I read that 4 year olds can attend kindy at aged 4 and then go on to pre-primary before starting year 1 at primary school. Can anyone tell me answers to the following:

a) how many weekly sessions in kindy are you entitled to or do you still pay for them

b) is pre-primary really 5 full days a week and if so, why isn't it just called primary as it is full time anyway.

c) is pre-primary compulsory/recommended?

Many thanks in advance,

Caroline

Guest spray21

I can't answer those questions, and I don't know if you are thinking from a childcare or educational perspective, but your children won't suffer educationally if they don't start school until 6 or even older. Socially of course it is good for them to be mixing regularly with other kids, & obviously it's great for parents to teach their kids as much as possible whilst they are growing up.

There are official websites for various states that outline education & childcare systems, so you should be able to find the information you need.

Good luck!

• 1 year later...
Guest mustshop75

Hiya,

The number of sessions of Kindy attended per week is 2. Most schools this is 2 full days, some of my friends children do 1 full day and 2 half days.

Kindy and Pre-Primary are NOT compulsory, although 95% of children do attend Pre-Primary. It is 5 days a week.

Kindy and Pre-Primary and merely there to prepare your child for full time education. Learn through play.

If your child turns 4 before June of the school year they can attend Kindy and the same with turning 5 for Pre-Primary. My second daughter will be 3 when she starts Kindy next Februry - she turns 4 in the March.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards, Claire

Hi there,

I was just wondering if anyone can give me some clarification on the kindy to pre-primary system.

We have 2 kids, our eldest will be 4 by the time we get to Perth and although i have been doing some research, I found it all a bit confusing. I read that 4 year olds can attend kindy at aged 4 and then go on to pre-primary before starting year 1 at primary school. Can anyone tell me answers to the following:

a) how many weekly sessions in kindy are you entitled to or do you still pay for them

b) is pre-primary really 5 full days a week and if so, why isn't it just called primary as it is full time anyway.

c) is pre-primary compulsory/recommended?

Many thanks in advance,

Caroline

Kindy and Pre Primary are not compulsory therefore you are not automatically entitled to a place in your catchment school. Enrolment for both is usually around July/August for the following year. Mostly K and PP are on the same premises as the rest of the school and at our school PP go to assembly and towards the end of the year they are slowly integrated into the rest of the school before entry into Year 1.

This is the calculator to find out when your child will start. Early Childhood Education

Our Kindy is 2 full days per week and Pre Primary full time. They are free from fees, only the school voluntary contribution is payble plus uniform and school supplies. I think I paid around $100 this year in total.

Archived