Nowra region.

Guest mumma boo

Guest mumma boo

Hi to all.

Does anybody have any knowledge of the Nowra/Kangaroo Valley/Berry/Shoalhaven region?

We hope to go on a recce visit later on this year with a view to maybe settling down in the region in the future. We are a family of three with a six year old daughter.

Cheers...

Hi to all.

Does anybody have any knowledge of the Nowra/Kangaroo Valley/Berry/Shoalhaven region?

We hope to go on a recce visit later on this year with a view to maybe settling down in the region in the future. We are a family of three with a six year old daughter.

Cheers...

I live about 1 hr away from that area . It is a very scenic area , an area where the rainforest of the escarpment meets the sea . Nowra is the major town and the centre of administration for the area . It has rail links to Sydney , and is a about 2 hrs by road too . There is a hospital and good shopping facilities also . Nowra also has some industry too , most of it situated to the North and also on the road out of town to the South . There is a Naval air station and a museum , which is a large tourist attraction. The whole area is popular with Sydneysiders , particularly on Weekends for that day out . I think wherever you decide to settle it is vital that you take a recce . It will be money well spent . All the best .

Dave..

Guest mumma boo

Hi guys thanks for the info Dave. Sounds great and from what we have seen via our research it sounds like this area has everything we want. Hard to predict I know but do you think we would struggle to find work here Dave? My partner is a vehicle mechanic and i am a veterinary nurse. Would you know if there are many vet. practices around here??

Guest BrerRabbit

Hi - we emigrated from the uk last February and came to Sydney. We recenly visited this area for a long 4 day weekend and lurved it! We'd love to live somewhere like this but the employment opprotunites seem few and far between I'm a solicitor and hubby's a carpenter), otherwise we'd go for it.....

• 3 months later...
Guest cornishoz

the area is rural with small towns and so the usual vet practices cover everything from small animals to dairy & beef cattle to alpachas(niche market for hobby farmers) and the animals at the local wildlife park. there are the usual range of garages and delearships if oh has all the right bits of paper he could probably land a job here or further north in woolongong . the nowra vetinary hospital is just relocating to much bigger purpose built clinic so may even have vacancy for vet nurse. its a beautiful area and if youre not up for big city stuff night life and major retail therapy.you'll be fine here.the communities are friendly and welcoming and family orientated with a join in and muck in attitude. we came from west devon and find quite a few similarities in the way we live and what we do.

Hi guys thanks for the info Dave. Sounds great and from what we have seen via our research it sounds like this area has everything we want. Hard to predict I know but do you think we would struggle to find work here Dave? My partner is a vehicle mechanic and i am a veterinary nurse. Would you know if there are many vet. practices around here??

Hi Cornish. Thank you for your reply. Do you live in Nowra? how have you found living there? We are coming to Oz in December for two weeks but staying in Sydney. We are planning to come down to Nowra for a visit. As for the night life - pah not for me anymore and as for the retail therapy..not a worry, I have been visiting the internet for as much info as poss about the area and it sounds perfect. It appears to be quite a horsey area too (is this correct?) if so that would suit us down to a tee. Cornish, I dont suppose you know the names/contacts of the local primary schools do you, only I seem to have no luck finding out about where or who they are, I could only get up Public schools, and am not sure if they are public in the same sense as UK public schools are (ie fee paying)

so many questions Im sorry,

:jiggy:

Guest cornishoz
Hi Cornish. Thank you for your reply. Do you live in Nowra? how have you found living there? We are coming to Oz in December for two weeks but staying in Sydney. We are planning to come down to Nowra for a visit. As for the night life - pah not for me anymore and as for the retail therapy..not a worry, I have been visiting the internet for as much info as poss about the area and it sounds perfect. It appears to be quite a horsey area too (is this correct?) if so that would suit us down to a tee. Cornish, I dont suppose you know the names/contacts of the local primary schools do you, only I seem to have no luck finding out about where or who they are, I could only get up Public schools, and am not sure if they are public in the same sense as UK public schools are (ie fee paying)

Guest cornishoz

we lived in nowra for a yr then moved 15 km out near the beach. nowra is only 15 min drive. 6 high schools( 3 private) & 5 public(state primaries) in town plus 8 more in the education area, also 3 private primaries linked to private highs(1 christian college,1anglican and 1 catholic). you can get details from www.nsw.gov.au/education.asp. generally good standards at all levels.nowras downside is that it has high unemployment, due to lack of big industry-2 large companies withdrew from area in past year.a lot of young people have to leave area to work elsewhere. naval base is probably biggest local employer followed by local gov.its probably not the area to come to unless you do have a job to come to.many self employed run businesses. it is big horse area-pony club at berry and equestrian centre at worrigee. expensive acreage to north and beachside communities due to sydneysiders tree and sea changers moving in. cheaper to south. check out www.allhomes.com.au and search any of these areas berry, nowra, north nowra, bomaderry,worrigee, tomerong, woollamia, sussex inlet, nowra hill,culburra,callalla for an idea of property prices.

HI again

Thanks very much for that info, very helpful indeed, as for unemployment bit...I could say the same for the town I live in at the moment, most people commute, luckily for us we work locally, so I guess it really comes down to who you know not what you know. Definately given us food for thought. Will look into those links as you advised. Cheers cornish.:v_SPIN:

• 1 month later...

Nowra seems to be a thriving centre these days, you could also get on the Shoalhaven City Council website, Kangaroo Valley is a nice yupee spot, Jervis Bay just south of Nowra has the whitest sands in Oz and is very beautiful.

The trains only run as far as Bomaderry which is on the northern side of Nowra, Nowra is an hours drive from Wollongong, if you drive down from Sydney it is a 2 and a half to 3 hour drive & has great ocean views.

Hi Skippy,

thanks for the reply, We are hoping to visit when we come over at Christmas, Definately want to check out this area, and and the lake illawarra. Its so frustrating and worrying because I have not been to Oz before (other half has), Im worried as general opinion I get from everyone on this forum is that finding work will be difficult in these areas, We only have this one recce visit and we need to find a suitable area by the time we get back as our next visit over there will hopefully be the permanant one. God Im sounding like a whinging pom already....having a bad day!!!:swoon:

You're welcome HCC, just remembered that they are going to build a jail in Nowra too, they might need a good Vet to put some of them down.

The southern Highlands region of NSW is like the English countryside, it is just on top of the escarpment from Kangaroo Valley, many celebrities live in that area, but there is no public transport & is very cold in winter, sometimes gets a bit of snow which doesn't last very long, Robertson is in that region too, where they filmed the movie Babe.

Berry is also a spot that is becoming very popular these days, you pass through there on the way to Nowra, we live in the country, but there are already 2 vets here, once you have driven through Albion Park Rail, the countryside starts to open up & is very beautiful, especially around Gerroa & Gerringong.

You can see all these places on Google Earth.

Morning all,

WOW those areas do sound fabulous, (having a better day) cant wait to see for my self, as for the prison, well at least the in mates ARE on the inside, unlike here where you get a smacked wrist, let out early oh and £180 odd quid per week spending money to go down the pub with. Now where did the Great go in Great Britain eh?

:)

• 1 year later...
Guest welshhuw

hi

my rello's live near nowra. ive stayed there back in 2005 for a few weeks and enjoyed it.

there are lovely coastal villages along jervis bay (Callala, Huskinsonn etc) and the coast to the south/east. (Culburra, Currarong) Check out a map on google.

Nowar is a short drive away from these places.

It is a small town itself (aussie size!) but with plenty there for whatever you need.

Sea, Countryside, Mountains!!

Archived