Darwin (My View Of)

Guest lcys2460

Guest lcys2460

I’ve decided to write my views/findings on my recent trip to Darwin, mainly because when I wanted to go I really struggled to find anyone who’d been before and could really tell me anything about the place. Where to go/what to do.

I do appreciate however that we all want different things when we travel so this is just my view – this trip was also with limited funds, and on foot most of the time – well unless I had a beer in my hand!!

Airport

There is a shuttle bus which runs between the airport and CBD – costs around $10 each, you can do a deal for return, it cost under £20 for two us as return pick up. Very easy to setup online, just give them your flight numbers/times along with your hotel name and they are waiting for you.

Accommodation

When I was booking I was at the time looking for something with a kitchenette which I struggled to find at a reasonable price – most hotels seem to be the traditional room only but they all come with a fridge – handy for the beers!

Most hotels will be in CBD – I’d recommend printing a map of Darwin CBD when looking at hotels – most bars/restaurants centre around Mitchell Street so depending on whether you want to be close to or further away from the main hub you can decide on location.

Cullen Bay looks amazing and expensive judging by some of the houses on the marina! There is a small selection of bars/restaurants but if you want to be near the main hub of the city and you are without a car (ie. on foot), I’d reconsider staying here.

Eating and Drinking

As I’ve said the main hub is Mitchell Street – there are a number of bars, restaurants and cafes open from breakfast til late.

The bars did generally similar food but there are also Italian, Thai, Chinese restaurants too. Didn’t have brekkie so can’t give you prices but lunch anywhere from $14 - $20+ and dinner from $18-$35+. Food is good quality and the portions are very generous!

As for drinks, well anything really, there was a huge abundance of choice when it come to European beers (corona, stella, becks etc etc) which I don’t remember seeing in Brissy last year. I didn’t drink any so unfortunately can’t tell you how much but I would guess around $6/7 a bottle. I drank XXXX Gold all the time which in CBD was $9 for two and cheaper as you move out of the city.

If anything I was a little disappointed with the lack of bars/restaurants – I really kept hoping that there was a pocket of Darwin I’d missed with another Mitchell Street – I guess I prefer my city a little bigger than Darwin.

Darwin Itself

Its quite a small town but there is A LOT of development going on, don’t think you could look in any direction without seeing some building work going on. The marina is the biggest project (think I read its ranked Australia’s 6th biggest development) which is currently under construction which will bring new hotels, apartments, bars and restaurants, and I believe a beach. I think when its finished it will bring new life to the city, which ‘I’ think it needs.

Also read that they will be building a mall with over a thousand shops on the outskirts of Darwin too!

The Sightseeing/Touristy Bit

I think I visited the main ones – Katherine, Kakadu and Lichfield. Opted to do them by tour operator as we decided no hire car on this trip.

Cruising down Yellow Water Billabong at Kakadu National Park was definitely my favourite bit but really I hardly saw any of it – I think Kakadu is about the size of Switzerland and I only had a day there!

There are loads of organised trips and numerous tour operators, you can either book online before you arrive or just drop into one of the shops – they are located, yes you guessed mostly around Mitchell Street!

Tour operators are also happy to send you brochures/leaflets through the post.

Fishing tours are very popular there too – especially for barramundi which is on the menu everywhere!

There are also a lot of World War II memorabilia around Darwin and surrounding areas – including memorials, planes etc.

Don’t know if this is standard or not but our tour operator didn’t include food on the trips, we assumed it did – you do get to stop somewhere but its at their scheduled stop with fixed menu.

They do (on our trips anyway) provide free towels if you do a swim in any of the falls.

Summary

If I could plan it and do it again, I think I’d hire a car (it would def have to be a 4x4) but only hire for part of the holiday – mainly as I’d be keeping costs down!

I’d spend a few days in Darwin at the beginging/end of the trip then drive off to Katherine and Kakadu, stopping where I wanted to – I guess with organised trips your always constrained by their agenda and timescales. Downside I guess is doing all that driving yourself!

For me, the sights to see are the National Parks and not in Darwin city so it would be worthwhile staying there for days and seeing more of it.

I also couldn’t help but feel that the trips would be more cost effective this way but that is a gut instinct rather than based on fact.

Darwin CBD I felt was very touristy, a lot from europe (ie. dutch) and aussies on hols too (not that that was a problem), we hardly come across any english out there and thought it was bizarre when people asked what part we were from (taken as ausssies) – thought the accent might give it away!

I think overall I didn’t find it as clean or as friendly as when I compare to being in QLD last year but that doesn’t mean people were not friendly or it wasn’t clean – certainly better than the UK.

Would I go again – yes! I’d love to see it in the wet season – they tell you the water level rises and covers the tree tops, bearing in mind you can see for miles in any direction – I find it almost impossible to imagine how much water that would be! If going in the wet season, you’d have to consider timing as some places you can’t get to at certain times when the flooding is severe but I understand this is only for weeks/rather than months.

If anyone wants to any know any specifics if planning a trip to Darwin on hotels, trips etc etc, photo’s even, let me know and if I can, I’d be very happy to help.

Archived