Which visa's best?!

Guest JenniferC

Guest JenniferC

Hi there,

I'm moving back to Australia ASAP and am currently debating which visa to return on.

I'm a British journalist with 15 years experience in print, radio and TV. I spent 15-months in Perth recently and loved it, but left as while I was working I didn't manage to get a job that really suited me. I was tied to a 457 visa during my time there.

I've been speaking to a great migration lawyer in the UK, who thinks I may be able to return by moving to South Australia under a state government sponsored visa. My job of the past few years has essentially been a public relations role and he suggests as journalism is no longer on their skills shortage list for SA this is my way in. I just need to get VETASSESS to approve my skills and experience as a Public Relations Manager, which is essentially what I do now. I am concerned though as my qualifications are in journalism. He seems to think it will be fine though. The great thing about doing it this way is, as I understand, I am free to do whatever work I like on arrival.

I like this plan if it will work...anyone had a similar experience??

Also I am a bit worried Adelaide will be a bit quiet - not that I am a big city girl.

The alternatives are: resign in one year and move to somewhere like Sydney and apply for jobs on arrival for three to five months, and hope someone sponsors me (a bit risky though). What are my chances of sponsorship?? I will go hard but I know some firms are reluctant to sponsor.

or

Go for the skilled migration and at 105 points (which is my current score) enter the pool. I can thus move to Australia and get a company to pluck me from the pool, securing PR. I don't know anyone who has done this. Any success stories??

I’d really appreciate some advice based on previous experience…. Thank you in advance!

Archived