Dogs going back to the UK

Guest the_zings

Guest the_zings

I understand that our dogs will need to have a rabies vaccine then wait 1 month then have a blood test then wait a further 6 months before being able to return to UK. We are not going back until Feb 2010 but we thought we would get the dogs vaccinated asap just incase there is a chance we can get home sooner and then just get them vaccinated for rabies at 6 monthly intervals. Does that mean they have to be blood tested a month after every booster and then wait a further 6 months before being allowed into the UK or is the blood test a one off as long as you keep the boosters up to date - if that all makes sense.....?

Guest Lunarz123

Hi, sorry can't help you with the specifics about the rabies jabs I'm afraid, but just to let you know that my UK vet has advised me to apply for a Pet Passport as soon as possible after I arrive in Australia (I am going the opposite way to you - have read your other posts, poor you...) and that this will ensure that there is the minimum amount possible quarrantine for my cat in case we want to return to the UK. There are other posts on here with people who have had to have their pets in quarrantine for 6 months after they returned to the UK because they didn't get the paperwork in place. I'm sure you don't need that on top of everything else :-(

Hopefully someone else can help with the rabies jab question.

Keep your chin up. Sue x

Guest the_zings
Hi, sorry can't help you with the specifics about the rabies jabs I'm afraid, but just to let you know that my UK vet has advised me to apply for a Pet Passport as soon as possible after I arrive in Australia (I am going the opposite way to you - have read your other posts, poor you...) and that this will ensure that there is the minimum amount possible quarrantine for my cat in case we want to return to the UK. There are other posts on here with people who have had to have their pets in quarrantine for 6 months after they returned to the UK because they didn't get the paperwork in place. I'm sure you don't need that on top of everything else :-(

Hopefully someone else can help with the rabies jab question.

Keep your chin up. Sue x

Hi Sue,

Thanks for the reply. I spoke to an animal transport company and they have answered my question. The dogs just need to have a rabies vacc then a blood test then wait 6mths before traveling to UK - so long as they keep up to date with their annual rabies vacc they won't require another blood test and they won't need to do quarantine. Thankfully. We are getting them vaccinated next week so that they are all set to go as soon as we are.

Thanks again and I hope it works out better for you than it did for us. Definately a good idea to get them passports just incase. I think you can do that before you leave the uk tho'....?

Guest Lunarz123

Thanks for that - I am going to get my cat vaccinated for rabies as soon as I get out there just in case... (you can't get it done before, as it will possibly wrongly show up as the cat having rabies, which is why you have to wait 6 months...). I will definitely get my cat his passport before I leave too. I feel guilty enough about the quarrantine he'll be going through on the way out there.

Don't want to jinx things, and really looking forward to going to Oz at the moment, but having read some of the threads on here, I want to keep the door open for the UK as much as poss just in case.

Good luck. Sue x

Guest the_zings
Thanks for that - I am going to get my cat vaccinated for rabies as soon as I get out there just in case... (you can't get it done before, as it will possibly wrongly show up as the cat having rabies, which is why you have to wait 6 months...). I will definitely get my cat his passport before I leave too. I feel guilty enough about the quarrantine he'll be going through on the way out there.

Don't want to jinx things, and really looking forward to going to Oz at the moment, but having read some of the threads on here, I want to keep the door open for the UK as much as poss just in case.

Good luck. Sue x

Good idea - sounds like you have a sensible plan. With regards to Quarantine this end we paid extra to have someone excercise/groom and interact with our dogs 3 times a week and I really think it has made their stay easier. I'm not sure if they have anyone who does similar with the cats but it may be worth asking as I'm sure they would benefit from a few cuddles and some grooming during their stay and I know that the quarantine staff don't have time to do anything other than clean the cages out and feed them. The lady who exercised our dogs emailed us photos from everyday that she had them out - was a great load of our mind and lovely to see them running around having fun! It only cost us $20 each day she exercised them - money well spent. If you contact your quarantine station they should be able to help you out.

Good luck!

Guest the_zings
Jab should last for 3 years. we flue our Lilly home, no real problems, hope all goes well

John

Vets over here say it's an annual booster....?

Vets over here say it's an annual booster....?

Well I suppose they are the experts, but we did similar to you, we had Lilly jabed as it was on the cards that we may go back to the Uk. The Vet we used in Namboure Qld

told us this would last for 3 years. If I remember right it cost us 500 odd $$.

Get a secound opinoin, Hopefully I'm right.

Good Luck John

Guest the_zings

I'm quite happy to get it down again after a year (if we are still here) as I would hate for them to have to do quarantine if the 3yrs is wrong. It's only costing us $173 for both dogs!

I'm quite happy to get it down again after a year (if we are still here) as I would hate for them to have to do quarantine if the 3yrs is wrong. It's only costing us $173 for both dogs!

Bloody Aussies

Ripped me off again.

Good luck hope all goes well

John

Guest the_zings
Bloody Aussies

Ripped me off again.

Good luck hope all goes well

John

Yeah, but it's another $480 for the blood tests so probably about same as you paid.

I take it you are back home in the UK? If so you are so lucky - I am counting the days! 16 months and counting!

Yeah, but it's another $480 for the blood tests so probably about same as you paid.

I take it you are back home in the UK? If so you are so lucky - I am counting the days! 16 months and counting!

Yes I'm lucky but life is still hard and the UK has not changed, .

I just done a 15 hour day by the time I got through London back home.

but I do love it hear.

Like I said your very brave so try to enjoy your 16 months and you never know you may even grow to like Aus

John X

Archived