Help Please - PR Visa and Tax

Guest Susan_H

Hi!

I haven't really thought about the tax situation but reading these posts etc has set my mind whirling! Can anyone help?

My situation is; leaving UK, leaving some savings in UK, building house in Australia. I know I need to fill in a P38 (why I dont know - what's this for and what happens if you don't fill one in before you leave)?

Also, was paying into a pension in the UK but will have to stop this. Do I just leave it behind ?

Sorry for all the Q's but I'm confused:err:

Hi Susan. We're not leaving savings behind, as such, but we are leaving our house, which is being rented - HMRC are aware of this and we'll receive our rental income without tax being deducted, but may have to complete a self-assessment if HMRC deem it necessary - but hopefully won't owe any tax. Not sure what a P38 is - I've just looked on HMRC and it looks as though it's a form for Students who are earning (maybe someone else on here knows more). You may have tax on UK earnings that you are elligble to claim back - best to either get professional advice or contact HMRC who should be able to advise you - I've rung them a few times and they're very helpful.

Regarding pensions - everyone's circumstances are different so you should really get professional advice on this. I believe you get a period of 6 months from arrival in Oz in which you can transfer your UK pension without the Oz taxman getting involved.

You're right - it is confusing (unless you're an expert) and I hate long and complicated forms which is why I'm paying someone to look after most of these things for me - money well spent, I think... and it could end up saving you a lot in the long-run.

Hello JoJoBob!

I have contacted a tax professional who said they will give me 1 hour free advice, so hopefully I can get out of him what I need to know in that space of time! Not looking forward to dealing with all this, we are going in a few weeks and really don't want to have this on my mind! Got plenty to sort out without having to worry about this too!

Archived