Glen Waverley

Guest Mike&Fiona

Guest Mike&Fiona

Hi everyone

Does anyone have any info on Glen Waverley, an eastern suburb of Melbourne. Due to hubby's new job looks like we will be on our way to Oz by the end of the year and have starting looking at possible schooling for our daughters. Glen Waverley looks nice and I seem to be getting a good vibe about both the primary school and secondary school. On the other hand rental properties don't look so good. Any info on this area would be greatly appreciated.

Fiona:spinny:

Guest Hello Kitty

I grew up in Glen Waverley so I know the area quite well though I don't live near there there now.

Glen Waverley when I was a child (late 1960's) was a semi rural new suburb with lots of open space. After about a decade most of the available land was developed and the semi rural feel has long gone. I have many fond childhood memories living there, climbing trees, catching yabbies in the creek and riding our bikes everywhere until the developers took over. Most of the housing stock in Glen Waverley is from the 1960's and 1970's. This means that it is not exactly the nicest architectural style compared to some older and new areas. Having said that the houses do have potential if renovated. I can imagine that rentals would be the unrenovated houses in the area. Remember that the 1970's weren't exactly a decade of good taste.

Wheelers Hill where I have also lived in very close to Glen Waverley but was mainly developed in the late 1970's to 1990's. It is leafier and much more attractive in my opinion. Wheelers Hill used to be alot more expensive than Glen Waverley and more prestigious but lately Glen Waverley has become more expensive in parts. I think this might be because the Glen Waverley Secondary College has a good reputation and you need to live in the zone to go there. I went to Brentwood Secondary College which was not a good school back then but to my surprise is now one of the better government schools around these days.

Glen Waverley is a good, convienient location. The freeway is easily accessible to get into the city. There is a train station and the Glen Waverley train line takes you into the CBD. There is a largish shopping Centre called "The Glen' which has all the stores you need. It is also not far to Chadstone Shopping Centre which is one of the best and largest shopping malls in Australia.

Glen Waverley is a safe suburb to live in with all the amenities you would need. I would consider looking at rentals in Wheelers Hill also as they might be a bit better quality.

Archived