Migrant Fares from UK to Oz

Guest sbird27

Hi, :D

I'm Steph! My Husband and I (and our two cats, charlie and Bean) are planning to move to Sydney in January. We both have jobs lined up and a 4 year visa on its way (hopefully!). As we are planning on staying out there for some time (if not forever) then i'm most concerned about how i'm going to get enough clothes for 4 years into one suitcase! A couple of people have mentioned some of the airlines do special migrant fares where you get double the luggage allowance, however, i cant find any info on this on the websites.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Steph xx

Guest poeblo

Hi Steph

I am Paula and were moving to Sydney in June 2006.

I work in long haul travel and have a good knowlege of fares, I have never heard of migrant fares ?? I do know though that airlines do charge for extra weight in the cabin , this is why were only entitled to so much when travelling in economy , its to avarage out the weight through out the cabin as it may be taking cargo also .

The best thing to do is to ship stuff over there you wont need immediately, this is the cheapest way of getting stuff over to OZ, then just take 20kg with you on transit to OZ .

I hope this helps , cos let me tell you even if you do get clearence to take extra baggage they charge a fortune as people in business and first class pay stupid amount to take extra loads.

I cant imagine any airline being empathetic towards emigrants as were only paying to go one way and want to take extra loads with us , this is not profitable ..

the best time to travel to OZ is our summer time MAY & JUNE as the fares are cheaper .

If you need any help please contact me on poeblo@tiscali.co.uk

Regards

Paula

• 7 months later...
Guest Sarah Ed

Hi I'm Sarah. We arrive in July 2006.

Emirates have a migrant allowance of 40kgs however if you're planning on having a stop-over (like we are) then you are not eligible for this. I think other airlines offer something similar.

Paula has the right idea about shipping stuff over.

Hope this helps.

Guest Kim2006

Hi Steph

Not sure about migration yet because my husband's only just been offered a job in Sydney so only just starting out - finding this forum a great help for information though.

You mentioned your taking your 2 cats and wondered if you could give me info on how you do it, costs, quarantine, etc, because we'll be taking our 2 cats too.

Sorry for not being to help with you question.

Bye for now. Kim x

Guest Kim2006

Sorry ignore my last message - just noticed that you send your message a year ago so probably over there now - if any one could help I'd be grateful.

Kim x

Guest Alison1967
Sorry ignore my last message - just noticed that you send your message a year ago so probably over there now - if any one could help I'd be grateful.

Kim x

Kim

Air Singapore & Emirates give you 40kgs allowance each if its your visa validation trip. You do need to contact the airline direct to get written confirmation just incase you have questions/problems at check-in.

Try britexpats site as several threads about recommended shippers and prices etc. Both cats can travel together and be quarantined together, also taking two means you get a small discount for the second animal by the shipper and quarantine costs.

Ali

Guest ABCDiamond
Hi Steph

Not sure about migration yet because my husband's only just been offered a job in Sydney so only just starting out - finding this forum a great help for information though.

You mentioned your taking your 2 cats and wondered if you could give me info on how you do it, costs, quarantine, etc, because we'll be taking our 2 cats too.

Sorry for not being to help with you question.

Bye for now. Kim x

Here is a Government link for Importing Cats and Dogs:

http://www.daff.gov.au/content/output.cfm?ObjectID=768C53F1-E1E3-47B6-A1516B834217B7F8

It can be quite expensive, I have seen a figure quoted of £2,500 for two dogs, and on top of that is the costs in Australia of quarantine. Worth checking around and getting EXACT quotes.

For Sydney, your Pets will spend time in Quarantine, almost certainly at

Eastern Creek Quarantine Station (Sydney-New South Wales)

Guest Kim2006

Thanks Ali and ABC Diamond user for the useful information, just need to convince my husband it's worth it!

p.s. how do you respond to each reply personally on this?

Kim x

Guest ABCDiamond
how do you respond to each reply personally on this?

Kim x

In the top line of each post, where the date is, but on the right hand side, there is this image icon_quote.gif click it, to reply and quote that post ;)

If you edit the original post, ensure you leave the bits with [ & ] around them, or it stuffs up :D

Guest Kim2006
how do you respond to each reply personally on this?

Kim x

In the top line of each post, where the date is, but on the right hand side, there is this image icon_quote.gif click it, to reply and quote that post ;)

If you edit the original post, ensure you leave the bits with [ & ] around them, or it stuffs up :D

Thank you, got it now. Kim

Archived