Dual Citizenship - How does it work?

Guest chris_mac

Guest chris_mac

What are the stipulations etc to maintain or acheive dual citizenship.? All the details would be appreciated..

Chris

General Electrician

Applied TRA Aug 07

TRA Retuned Oct (Skill path D removed)

Re-applied Vetassess 01.01.08

Vetassess Paper Assess Passed 10.04.08

House up for sale 28.03.08 sold 14.04.08 (3 weeks, crikey)

Vetassess Practical 15.07.08

Practical Passed 11.08.08

176 Visa Application Submitted 11.09.08

Guest beermeister

I can only say from a point of view of an Australian getting British citizenship....

To get British citizenship, you need to have lived in UK for minimum of 5 years of which the last year must not have had any time limit restrictions (i.e. at least 1 year after visa has expired), you then do a Britishness test, fill out a few forms, pay your fees, send away your documents, swear allegiance at a ceremony, and you then get your certificate along with your frontal labotamy. As of somewhere around 1999, Australia has allowed its citizens to maintain dual nationality (before then, if you acquired another nationality, you had to surrender Australian citizenship). I don't believe there is any special requirement to maintain your citizenship, although they threaten to take it away if they find out that you've told a few porky pies in your application to get dual citizenship.

Guest cbr1100XX

Hi

As I understand it, for British Citizens, you need to be a PR. Have lived in the country on some form of visa for 4 years and at least one on those years needs to be as a PR. During that time you cant be out of the country for over 12 months and the last year as a PR no more than 3 months.

Once you are eligible you need to pass a citizenship test had over $250 and you can then ask for an Oz passport and become a dual citizen.

I have been informed that Germans can't have dual citizenship and have to relinquish their German citizenship.

cbr...

Apparantly Sri Lankans cant have dual nationality either. I have dual nationality UK/Australian and was lucky that my parents had the forsight to do this for me when they emigrated in 1982. I am so glad they did as otherwise i wouldnt have got back into Australia with my own family.

I would advise anyone to get citizenship if only for their kids sake if you decide to go back to your home country then at least your kids can come back in the future on an Australian Passort.

My son was born here, Im a Pom (since neutralized) and his mum is an Oz, he just showed my birth certificate to obtain his British passport, not sure if that qualifies him as a dual though, but suspect it does otherwise he wouldnt have got the passport.

Archived