Sign in to follow this  
Guest afs

driving in australia

Guest afs

As a British citizen, does anyone know for how long can I drive in Australia on my British licence before I have to get an Australian one?

Moneycorp

Moneycorp

Guest Bet

I am moving to State of Vicotria, and I was lead to believe that you are only aloud to drive on a UK licence for 3 months, but it differs for all states.

Can anyone confirm

I am moving to State of Vicotria, and I was lead to believe that you are only aloud to drive on a UK licence for 3 months, but it differs for all states.

Can anyone confirm

Here you go for Victoria and I'm pretty sure its the same in other States.

Click Here for VicRoads

Guest fancyfella

Can anyone confirm

Hello to you all,

If you go online and get a internatinol driving licence off the AA or RAC im sure you can drive on that licence for 12 months before you have to take an australian test. :lol:

HOPE THIS HELPS YOU ALL FANCYFELLA AND THE TRIBE!!!!

P.S. YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE

Guest Cal

I've heard that it depends what visa class you have :?:

Cal x

Guest Bet

Thanks for the link John, as quoted depends on state and type of visa. We have a permanent residency so as I thought we can only drive on our Uk licence for three months, one good thing though, no need to retake and tests, horah,, well it was over 12 years since I done my test and at that time there was no written.

Guest afs

Thanks for the info - the VicRoads link is very useful - temp visa can drive on overseas licence for indefinite period, permanent visa - 3 months. Also appears that if you are from a country on their list, we don't have to undertake any tests for conversion?

Guest vaalie

If you are a permanent resident in South Aus then you have 3 months in which to do your theory test

Thanks for the info - the VicRoads link is very useful - temp visa can drive on overseas licence for indefinite period, permanent visa - 3 months. Also appears that if you are from a country on their list, we don't have to undertake any tests for conversion?

Hi, If you are in Victoria on a permanent visa (I.e a non 1 year working holiday visa or Tourist Visa) you can drive on your overseas licence for only three months from the date you entered Victoria or from the time a permanent visa was issued to you. If you want to continue to drive in Victoria after that time you must apply for a Victorian driver licence

If you hold a driver licence from one of the following countries you are not required to undertake any tests provided your overseas licence is current or not expired by more than five years.

Austria

Japan

Belgium

Luxembourg

Canada

Netherlands (Holland)

Croatia

Norway

Denmark

Portugal

Finland

Singapore

France

Spain

Germany

Sweden

Greece

Switzerland

Ireland

UK

Italy

USA

All of this has previously been discussed in this section, between Bet and myself. Thread is here: http://pomsinoz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36 :wink:

For Car Licensing info in other states:

Western Aus (Perth):

http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/index.html

New South Wales (Sydney):

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/

Queensland (Brisbane):

http://www.transport.qld.gov

South Aus (Adelaide):

http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/index.asp

Tasmania (Hobart):

http://www.transport.tas.gov.au/

Northern Territory (Darwin)